Clone turning light purple/violet?

Lil Neutrino

Haven't had a chance to dig through the problem solver yet so I wanted to post these pics here in the meantime (and nobody's commented about them in my journal either).

3-23-10_016_rsz.jpg

This picture (below) shows it pretty well...you can see what has happened to the lower leaves and that it appears to be migrating up to the new growth. Also I have noticed that the greener growth at the very top now appears to be fading to yellow as well

3-23-10_017_rsz.jpg

This particular clone is on the tail end of week three I think but I'd have to check my journal to be sure. It has received nothing but distilled water which along with the migration upwards has me thinking it is a mobile nutrient deficiency...if not simply a dying clone :(

I transplanted it in it's Rapid Rooter plug to some FFOF soil about a week ago because the plug was drying out twice a day (twice more a day than the others) and I figured it had finally grown roots but they just weren't showing yet.

Also the spotting has me concerned, I haven't seen this on anyone else's clones before and now it's on this one...already threw out the other ones that had it that were obviously not going to survive (not due to the spotting, just pale yellow and no roots showing during the "autopsy"). I'd hate to have to toss this one too, last clone I have left as I'm not too optimistic about the two clones I took a week after this one. Advice?

The only nutes I have are EJ Bloom (0-3-1 iirc) and Catalyst (mostly micronutrients and stuff) as well as some Mexican bat guano (10-3-1). At this point I think a foliar spray is my best bet, I was hoping that water would drain from the FFOF soil in to the RR plug and help bring nutes to any roots that are in there but it does not seem to be working.

Perhaps a molybdenum deficiency? The Pest/Problem Solver Pictorial led me to this conclusion and also says that this deficiency can be caused by deficiencies in both phosphorus and sulphur. This would definitely explain the purple coloration on the leaves and the pale yellow of the rest of the leaves.

Comments? I have some EJ Bloom (0-3-1) and Catalyst (0.03-0.01-0.1) that I could mix in to a foliar feed if that's what I need to do...need help ASAP though as the newer leaves are turning purple quickly even from a few hours ago. Thanks!

How are you rooting your clones?

If you transplanted the clone and the roots weren't yet visible you probably transplanted it too soon... the information of the previous clone not expressing any roots would lend credibility to the the idea that your clones aren't rooted and they are using the nuts stored in the leaves and are dying a slow death.... The chance of rooting is marginal at best if they aren't in optimal conditions...

Letting the rooting clones medium dry out can be fairly damaging

I guess... in a major effort to save this last clone... I would with extreme care check to see if there are roots... if there are no roots showing... I would remove it from the dirt and get it under a humidity dome and cfl lighting.... and pray. If I was going to use a foliar spray I would use thrive alive b-1 and root-66 or something else like that to promote rooting.... as well as cut the leaves in half....

If there are roots... I would check the ph and give it a light feeding as the roots are juvenile... maybe just 200 to 300 ppm PH adjusted.

Additionally... I would remove any dead leaves... I thought I saw a totally brown leaf in the dirt.... and maybe cut back leaves that more than 50% damaged... not necessarily remove them, just cut them in half....

How are you rooting your clones?

First time I've ever cloned so there's that...lol...and I used some AN Juicy Roots that was given to me free at the hydro store when I bought the RR plugs. Aside from that I followed the general instructions of cutting long enough, scraping, splitting, etc., etc. I had to make a makeshift veg cabinet to put the clones in to as it was kind of last second, now or never thing. They have two 26W 6500K CFL's hanging over them, the clone pictured above is within a couple inches with a low CFM computer fan blowing on it from the intake (two higher CFM exhaust fans are at the top) in the back at the bottom. Temps...dunno, never checked, but shouldn't be excessive given the 3' high enclosure and minimal lighting. They were kept under a makeshift humidity dome (gallon jug cut in half with two pencil sized holes at opposite ends for some air flow) for two weeks and the plugs kept moist the entire time, not sopping wet, anywhere from somewhat moist to decently wet. Clones were allowed to breath for 15-30 minutes a day and misted with distilled water before being "recapped". After two weeks or so I noticed that this particular one was drying out much faster than the others even though it was in the exact same conditions.

I know that you should wait to see roots before transplanting but:

A) There was no way I was going to chance forgetting to moisten that plug as I do not have any automation as far as a cloner goes.

B) I honestly didn't (and still don't) see how the plant knows if the plug is in air or soil if the roots are not sticking out so what's the difference?

If you transplanted the clone and the roots weren't yet visible you probably transplanted it too soon... the information of the previous clone not expressing any roots would lend credibility to the the idea that your clones aren't rooted and they are using the nuts stored in the leaves and are dying a slow death.... The chance of rooting is marginal at best if they aren't in optimal conditions...

Which goes back to statement B...

Letting the rooting clones medium dry out can be fairly damaging

Agreed, which goes back to statement A :)

I guess... in a major effort to save this last clone... I would with extreme care check to see if there are roots... if there are no roots showing... I would remove it from the dirt and get it under a humidity dome and cfl lighting.... and pray. If I was going to use a foliar spray I would use thrive alive b-1 and root-66 or something else like that to promote rooting.

Can't afford to buy any nutes...unemployment ran out last week and no job prospects in sight. And at this point I'm be more concerned about inadvertently damaging what roots there might be while looking for them. This clone is stuck down in the plug pretty well. Or were you saying to pull the soil back from the plug and check it?

If there are roots... I would check the ph and give it a light feeding as the roots are juvenile... maybe just 200 to 300 ppm PH adjusted.

I don't have a meter that does ppm as my whole grow is soil, don't really need it at this point...just a Milwaukee pH600.

:thanks:

I understand now....

IN response to A.... I understand your fear of letting the clones dry out by forgetting to moisten them... Its more damaging to rooting clones for them to dry out than to be too wet. You don't need automation... You can take a clone in rock wool - put them in a tray - and put like 1/8th inch of water on the entire bottom and the clones will root.... I personally use a humidity dome, heat pad and cfls to clone... I use rock wool and let the cubes sit in water... Cloning can be difficult if all the environmental factors aren't ideal... temp is important and shouldn't be overlooked.

In response to be B - They don't know what medium they are in... but you put them in a medium that absorbs water - and probably is exacerbating the rate at which the water is used and is drying the cube out faster than if it was just in the air...

Your concerned about damaging the newly forming(ed) fragile roots.. the soil probably has nutrients in it - which can be more damaging to the roots - and stunt the plant if they are excessive.... when rooting clones you don't want to feed the plants....

Really... you need to know what your clone is doing... check the soil with extreme care around the plug and see if it is rooted... I am not suggesting that you yank the clone from the cube.... but if you just sit back and do nothing or repeat the same mistakes, your clones will probably never make it.

Eventually you will probably want to get a PPM so you know what strength solutions you are feeding your plants....

How To Clone A Cannabis Plant

The Above link makes for good reading

IN response to A.... I understand your fear of letting the clones dry out by forgetting to moisten them... Its more damaging to rooting clones for them to dry out than to be too wet. You don't need automation... You can take a clone in rock wool - put them in a tray - and put like 1/8th inch of water on the entire bottom and the clones will root.... I personally use a humidity dome, heat pad and cfls to clone... I use rock wool and let the cubes sit in water... Cloning can be difficult if all the environmental factors aren't ideal... temp is important and shouldn't be overlooked.

I had tried putting about 1/8" of water in a tray and thought they got too wet...but I have nothing to compare to.

In response to be B - They don't know what medium they are in... but you put them in a medium that absorbs water - and probably is exacerbating the rate at which the water is used and is drying the cube out faster than if it was just in the air...

Hmmm, that makes sense. I was thinking it would work in the reverse in that the soil would help keep moisture in the plug. If there are no roots showing outside the plug when I check it I assume I should take it out and put it back in the tray?

Your concerned about damaging the newly forming(ed) fragile roots.. the soil probably has nutrients in it - which can be more damaging to the roots - and stunt the plant if they are excessive.... when rooting clones you don't want to feed the plants....

Ok, I have been pretty patient up until today which I thought is pretty good for my first attempt at cloning before starting to really worry lol. I wasn't too worried with the paling/yellowing until the spots started showing up and the purple coloration began to spread even farther upwards.

Really... you need to know what your clone is doing... check the soil with extreme care around the plug and see if it is rooted... I am not suggesting that you yank the clone from the cube.... but if you just sit back and do nothing or repeat the same mistakes, your clones will probably never make it.

Ok...I didn't think you really meant pull it from the plug but figured it doesn't hurt to ask for clarification.

Eventually you will probably want to get a PPM so you know what strength solutions you are feeding your plants....

How To Clone A Cannabis Plant

The Above link makes for good reading

Aye...thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom