Clones vs seeds on 12/12

nick88

I've seen a lot of really nice 12/12 from seed plants. I've got a bunch of rooted cuttings from a mature mother, and was wondering which produces more.. Seeds started from 12/12 or cuttings thrown straight to 12/12 after rooting.
Any thoughts and insight would be appreciated

Depends on what you mean by rooted clones. Are we talking roots just showing out of the cut, or rooted in the size container you are finishing in?
Not all seeds do well in straight 12/12. It's highly dependent on the strain. I have a few strains that if i ran straight 12/12 i would expect 4-6 inch plants. seriously. I also have strains that will grow 2-3 feet running straight 12/12 from seed.
People probably didn't reply because it's hard to answer all things considering.

I've run clones that are semi rooted in keg cups, transplanted into 1 gal containers and flipped to 12/12 to harvest small plants that have a rootball that did not fill in. In DWC the roots will do much better, and I would expect a larger sized plant.

Hope this helps some.

Depends on what you mean by rooted clones. Are we talking roots just showing out of the cut, or rooted in the size container you are finishing in?
Not all seeds do well in straight 12/12. It's highly dependent on the strain. I have a few strains that if i ran straight 12/12 i would expect 4-6 inch plants. seriously. I also have strains that will grow 2-3 feet running straight 12/12 from seed.
People probably didn't reply because it's hard to answer all things considering.

I've run clones that are semi rooted in keg cups, transplanted into 1 gal containers and flipped to 12/12 to harvest small plants that have a rootball that did not fill in. In DWC the roots will do much better, and I would expect a larger sized plant.

Hope this helps some.
Thanx for the reply. I'm doing a flood n drain system. Sort of, I have 2'x4' trays with holes cut in a sheet of plywood to suspend pots about 3"above bottom, i then have about 1 to 2" of hydroton in tray and flood tray up to 2".
I've found that they get a much larger root system, and the hydroton helps to retain moisture longer.. I guess you would call it a cross of f&d and dwc as the upper roots stay dry.
Anyway back to the clones, they're about 12" tall with a root mass covering about a 10 to 12" circle in tray.
I'm only looking for round 2 zips a plant as their is quite a few of them. If i run a 4wk veg with this strain i usually end up with 4 to 6 zips each.

Back
Top Bottom