CO: Accused Highlands Ranch Pot Grower Out On Bond

Warbux

A Highlands Ranch man charged with a federal drug crime after showing a television news crew his large medical-marijuana garden was released from jail on bond today. Chris Bartkowicz, 36, walked out of the federal courthouse at about 11 a.m. this morning, wearing a sweatshirt, pants and sandals that a friend brought for him to change into after a brief hearing. Bartkowicz pulled the hood of his sweatshirt over his head and said, "no comment whatsoever" to the three news reporters standing outside.

Bartkowicz is charged with cultivating more than 100 marijuana plants in the basement of his home, a charge that could bring 5 to 40 years in prison and up to a $2 million fine. Drug Enforcement Administration agents raided his home on Feb. 12, the same day 9News posted an online story connected to an interview with Bartkowicz that was scheduled to air that night. The DEA targeted Bartkowicz after seeing the story, according to court documents.

Bartkowicz has said he believes he was in compliance with state medical-marijuana laws, but federal officials have said he had more plants than state law allows and that marijuana cultivation remains illegal federally regardless.

Bartkowicz's release today comes amid strong signs that he has reached a plea agreement with prosecutors.

Bartkowicz's attorney, Joseph Saint-Veltri, has filed a document with the court saying "the parties have reached a disposition in this matter" that requires Bartkowicz to change his plea. Prosecutors have previously filed a motion saying that Bartkowicz would "plead to an Information." An information is a charging document that is filed in federal court in lieu of an indictment.

No date has yet been set for Bartkowicz to change his plea, and Saint-Veltri has declined to comment on any possible plea deal.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Craig Shaffer referenced the apparent deal today when agreeing to change Bartkowicz's bond conditions, calling the change-of-plea request a "significant change."

Bartkowicz was released on a $25,000 unsecured bond. He must stay in home confinement and under electronic surveillance while out on bond, and he cannot use alcohol or drugs, including medical marijuana.

"The fact that I am reducing the conditions," Shaffer said today, "in no way means the case is less serious."

News Hawk: Warbux 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: Media Awareness Project
Author: John Ingold
Copyright: 2010 The Denver Post Corp

One must remember that the California Supreme Court ruled plant numbers and medicine amounts Unconstitutional.

So this should be interesting to watch play out.

I just hope he doesn't take a plea and is the one to "Force" this change.

One must remember that the California Supreme Court ruled plant numbers and medicine amounts Unconstitutional.

So this should be interesting to watch play out.

I just hope he doesn't take a plea and is the one to "Force" this change.

This being Colorado, It might have a different outcome. :roorrip:

Yes, Anything can happen, but it does give an idea that it very well may be similar?

As CO. is the only state to have it written directly into their Constitution.

But the sooner it is pushed really hard in CO. the sooner their Supreme Court will be forced into ruling on this. That is why I commented on him not pleading to this.

93% off all criminal charges end in a Plea Bargin.

With only like 2-3% getting acquitted in a Jury trial. Goes to show there really is NO justice, not when they refuse your right to a Quick an Speedy trial. And their lack of spending on the Public Defender System.

If there are not specific amounts written in the CO. passed law then I just don't see the limits holding up.

Yes, Anything can happen, but it does give an idea that it very well may be similar?

As CO. is the only state to have it written directly into their Constitution.

But the sooner it is pushed really hard in CO. the sooner their Supreme Court will be forced into ruling on this. That is why I commented on him not pleading to this.

93% off all criminal charges end in a Plea Bargin.

With only like 2-3% getting acquitted in a Jury trial. Goes to show there really is NO justice, not when they refuse your right to a Quick an Speedy trial. And their lack of spending on the Public Defender System.

If there are not specific amounts written in the CO. passed law then I just don't see the limits holding up.

Not to mention citings to other pending laws in most court trials..:popcorn: This outta get interesting.:roorrip:

Back
Top Bottom