CO: Pueblo County Commission Candidate Pivots On Pot Position

Katelyn Baker

Republican businessman Brian Mater told marijuana business owners this week he does not support taking away their licenses for recreational pot stores and their supporting businesses - which is what Proposition 200 on the November ballot would do.

Mater, who is running for the District 2 Pueblo County Commission seat, acknowledged to the business owners at the meeting this week that he has been an outspoken opponent but now does not support taking away licenses that have already been granted by state and local officials.

"It would be like someone taking away my roofing license," said Mater, who owns All-Star Roofing, among other businesses.

In a video that can be seen on YouTube, Mater tells the marijuana business owners on Monday that he has been persuaded that their stores are closely regulated.

Mater said he does have concerns about legalized marijuana, but said the current license owners - for recreational stores, grows and product-making - have gone to the expense of getting state and local licenses, plus investing in their businesses.

"I don't agree with telling people they can go get their licenses . . . and then have someone take that away from you," he said.

Proposition 200 would bar the county from issuing any more recreational pot licenses and repeal all those in existence, effective January 2017.

At a public debate with Democratic candidate Garrison Ortiz last week, Mater said he was against recreational marijuana.

Ortiz had said he would wait for voters to decide the future of recreational businesses on Nov. 8.

In his talk to the growers, Mater acknowledged having been an opponent and said he does have concerns about its impact in the community. But he also said he'd visited commercial stores and observed how they operate.

"Do I think we need to close down recreational stores? No, I don't," he said.

TanjilaAhmed.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Pueblo County Commission Candidate Pivots On Pot Position
Author: Peter Roper
Photo Credit: Tanjila Ahmed

Back
Top Bottom