Colorado: Concealed Carry And Marijuana Use

Jacob Redmond

As you know, Colorado has recently legalized the purchase and possession of marijuana for recreational use.

For many years, Colorado has had legal medical marijuana for those who provided an MMJ card verifying that they had a prescription from a doctor. Those who did procure that MMJ card were reminded by the ATF that they were no longer allowed to purchase or possess firearms.

Furthermore, some counties in Colorado added a question to their concealed carry application asking applicants specifically about their use of marijuana. Having a valid MMJ card would prevent someone from obtaining a CHL, because their status as an MMJ card holder was easily verifiable.

Now there is a group in Colorado, the Colorado Campaign for Equal Gun Rights that is putting forth a ballot initiative that would remove the ban on CHL permits for Marijuana users. They would need 86,000 signatures to send the question to voters and are working toward having this added to the November 2016 ballot.

When considering this, is there a difference between a gun owner that enjoys alcohol vs a gun owner that enjoys marijuana? After all, being intoxicated while carrying a firearm is already illegal, regardless of intoxicant and this repeal would not make it legal to be intoxicated and carry a firearm. It would simply allow users of marijuana to legally carry a firearm, just as users of alcohol can carry a firearm.

Marijuana-and-Guns.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Concealed Carry and Marijuana Use
Author: AWR Hawkins
Photo Credit: Ammoland

We really need this here. To think if my house were invaded and I used a gun to wound, hold the criminal, or even if the person got away, that when police arrive that I could then be brought to jail because I have marijuana growing in the basement and I am reporting the use of my gun in my statement. That is a bunch of BS, anti-liberty, just goes against common sense.

:peace:

We really need this here. To think if my house were invaded and I used a gun to wound, hold the criminal, or even if the person got away, that when police arrive that I could then be brought to jail because I have marijuana growing in the basement and I am reporting the use of my gun in my statement. That is a bunch of BS, anti-liberty, just goes against common sense.

Believing a gun in your house will help you hold a criminal goes against common sense.
It sounds fine in theory, but in practise you are much more like likely to:
A) wound or kill your spouse
B) be wounded or killed by your spouse
C) have your house burglarized and your gun stolen

If you want your guns, and you don't shoot me, fine, but why pretend that they will make you safer?
The statistics are against that.

Careful what stats you choose.

I can roll out as many pro gun stats as you can anti.

I'm a licensed carrier, and state certified instructor.

I've done this for over twenty years. I teach the law aspect for my state also.

You are correct saying guns don't make you safe, but wrong, imho, saying they won't make you safer.

Safe is a perception.

Come to my house with bad intentions, you'll not feel safe.

No family members in my home have been hurt, are unsafe, or in any danger due to my right to keep and bear arms.

I agree with the point of the article very much. Pot is no different then alcohol with respect to the laws for carrying while under the influence.

Stay green friends.

That will be the next fight on our hands friends. Gun friends that is.

My right to bear arms shouldn't be infringed upon because I chose to puff in my home.

Or my ability to carry concealed in public, in my opinion. I don't puff and carry, same as alcohol. It doesn't mix and they're are no exceptions. So, it's really not an issue in my eyes.

I've told my wife I'll give up my CCW permits, and teaching certs, to keep puffing.

Maybe, they'll say I can't carry concealed or teach it, but, the fact remains I'll have guns in my home, in my safe.

But that fight is coming....

Believing a gun in your house will help you hold a criminal goes against common sense.
It sounds fine in theory, but in practise you are much more like likely to:
A) wound or kill your spouse
B) be wounded or killed by your spouse
C) have your house burglarized and your gun stolen

If you want your guns, and you don't shoot me, fine, but why pretend that they will make you safer?
The statistics are against that.
Lets not bring a gun to a marijuana fight. :) There are many stats you can run at me. Would I stop you from growing marijuana? F'n no! The only reason why that stupid question on the gun app is there is because at the time people were misinformed about a marijuana drug fight by the anti marijuana /DEA people. It think its spirit of intent was to absolutely define a perjury in case they couldn't get you on anything but a joint, thereby protecting the cops that took your civil liberties away. And perjury is a federal offense so they got you for having an illegal schedule I substance and a gun and a perjury. Its nothing but a bureaucratic stomp on liberty either way. This is not a debate on whether guns are safe or that you are safe with guns its a debate on liberty. The constitution of the US states we shall not pass any law respecting religion yet, churches get no taxes, Mississippi has a law in that state's constitution that says no one can work for the government there unless they believe in Chritianity. Where is the liberty?

Anyway, this point is about liberty and crap unlawfulness just to satisfy a small minority that believe guns kill. A gun is a tool just like a hammer and a saw and both of those kill too. So to say I can't have a saw or a hammer because I use marijuana is complete nonsense. Yet, there it is...my liberty oppressed.

BTW, 30K people are killed by the use of a gun every year and more than half of those people are shot by police, 15K+, the next biggest chunk are people that kill themselves, as in suicide. The smallest chunk are accidental deaths like a kid finding a gun and shooting another or themselves, spouses killing each other are just above that.

The amount of car accident deaths far exceeds deaths by guns, why don't they ask you if you use marijuana when you purchase a car?

Amen, well put. It's about liberty, exactly. Besides I'd rather have the stoned guy packing over the drunk guy. If I had to choose.

Back
Top Bottom