Congressional Cannabis Caucus Demands Feds Butt Out Of Legal Marijuana States

Katelyn Baker

In his appointment testimony before members of the Senate Judiciary Committee in January, U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions said that it is not the responsibility of the Attorney General to pick and choose which federal laws to enforce.

"One obvious concern is the United States Congress has made the possession in every state and distribution an illegal act," he said. "If that's something that's not desired any longer Congress should pass a law to change the rule. It is not the Attorney General's job to decide what laws to enforce."

On the one hand, the AG does set priorities and policies regarding enforcement.
For example, under Presidents Reagan and Bush Sr., AG Dick Thornburgh ordered the nation's federal prosecutors in drug cases, including cannais, to file the most serious charges possible and always push for the most severe penalities they thought they could have imposed. Under President Obama, AG Holder advised the same prosecutors to file lesser charges when possible to reduce the social harms and prison costs run up under his predecessors.

President's and Congress's failure hurt the nation

President Obama failed to reschedule marijuana, which would have taken him about five minutes, during his eight years in office, leaving in place all the problems that Schedule 1 entails for society. Nobody knows what "so-called" President Trump has in mind probably not even the man himself.

Sessions has a deplorable record regarding marijuana, including pushing for the death penalty for drug offenders and joking that the only thing he doesn't like about the racist terrorist organization the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) is that some of its members smoke pot.

Rather than trust his judgement, it is time for Congress to change the law once and for all.

Congressional Cannabis Caucus takes the lead

Currently the annual federal budget keeps U.S. agencies from violating States Rights in regard to industrial hemp and medical marijuana reforms. The rules have been upheld by the courts, but they are tenuous because any year's new budget could eliminate those protections.

Anticipating Session's anti-cannabis bent, a few hours prior to Sessions' confirmation vote, US Representative Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) joined six other Republicans and six Democrats to introduce bipartisan legislation, 'The Respect State Marijuana Laws Act.' The bill would prevent the federal government from criminally prosecuting individuals and/or businesses who are engaging in state-sanctioned activities specific to the possession, use, production, and distribution of marijuana.

The bill, HR 975, states, ''Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the provisions of this subchapter related to marihuana shall not apply to any person acting in compliance with State laws relating to the production, possession, distribution, dispensation, administration, or delivery of marihuana.''

Keeping the 'Dogs of Drug War' reined in

National polls show that 60 percent of Americans support legalizing marijuana, but recent history shows that a majority of public opinion or even a majoity of registered voters at the polls does not mean that the will of the people will be followed by government bureaucrats.

Passage of HR 975 would halt Sessions or any other federal official from prosecuting individuals and businesses for violating the Controlled Substances Act in the 29 states that permit either the medical or adult use and distribution of marijuana.

This reform is essential now that 28 states have legalized medical use in some form, eight states have legalized adult use and regulated the adult market, and 16 states have industrial hemp legislation on the books.

Call or write your member of Congress to support HR 975

With Sessions at the helm of the nation's prosecutors and federal police, passage of this Act is essential to ensure that cannabis patients and others are protected from undue and devastating federal interference, lengthy prison sentences and seizure of homes, bank accounts and real property.

"Please take action today to urge your federal lawmakers to support HR 975, the 'The Respect State Marijuana Laws Act,'" encouraged National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) executive director Eric , "and when you have finished, please also take a moment to make a generous and much appreciated donation to NORML so we can continue our federal and statewide efforts."

RicardoVeneza.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Congressional Cannabis Caucus Demands Feds Butt Out Of Legal Marijuana States
Author: Chris Conrad
Photo Credit: Ricardo Veneza

Enforcement "discretion" is not the answer!
The only true resolution is to reschedule cannabis down to at least schedule III. If that is not accomplished, anyone who possesses cannabis can be labeled a dangerous narcotic user and according to the ATF can be denied their Second Amendment rights. If it is not downgraded to at least schedule III individuals in the cannabis industry can be denied banking and financial services resulting in large amounts of cash not being adequately protected or tracked. This can lead to corruption and encourages criminal activity. Asset forfeiture in relation to cannabis creates an atmosphere where law enforcement becomes egregiously aggressive for financial reward instead of serving justice.
Write, fax, phone, and email your elected officials and DEMAND that cannabis be rescheduled downward to at least schedule III.

And yet today Sean Spicer hinted that a federal crackdown may be coming under the Trump administration. Back, further into the dark ages we go.

The only words I have is I hope those of us that voted for this insane tyrannt and his cabinet of neo-nazi's is I hope you swallow your smoke with all due consequences. Everythinh this administration does and the hardships endured and lives wastes/lost in the new drug war is on your heads.

Nobody knows what "so-called" President Trump has in mind probably not even the man himself.

"so-called"? Last time I checked, he IS the President of the United States (whether any of us like it or not). This article wasn't marked as an op-ed piece and using inflammatory language lowers your journalistic integrity (to me). The message you're trying to deliver is too important to use it as a platform for taking pot shots at politicians. Feel free to blast any statements they make or actions they take, but this kind of attack should be beneath all journalists.

(I had to come out of the lurker shadows to express my disappointment)

"so-called"? Last time I checked, he IS the President of the United States (whether any of us like it or not). This article wasn't marked as an op-ed piece and using inflammatory language lowers your journalistic integrity (to me). The message you're trying to deliver is too important to use it as a platform for taking pot shots at politicians. Feel free to blast any statements they make or actions they take, but this kind of attack should be beneath all journalists.

(I had to come out of the lurker shadows to express my disappointment)

Considering the "man" has made a point of acting anything but presidential ( both pre-and post election ) and that he obtained the office on a technicality the phrase "so called" is being applied correctly.

I have to believe that ones politics are their own business. I certainly believe the feds are overstepping their bounds but I am not so narrow minded or cynical or whatever the motivations may be that I would make a blanket statement blaming everyone who voted this way or that for everything wrong in the world....it is obviously a statement derived from emotions and not intellect. That being said I understand emotions are high now but passive aggressive pot shots are not a solution.
Obama should have rescheduled marijuana, but then again so should every other president before him so why waste time playing the blame game when we can move forward with positive speak and mutually agreed upon goals.
Sorry....I usually prefer to stay in the shadows a bit but it is hard for me to see the things I love in life being tainted with the politics of the day. Maybe it's just me but I believe these threads should stick to the subject.
One last thing...I did my own investigation and as it turns out that combed-over turd is in fact the actual real president....he is even the president of those citizens who do not approve in spite of their signs. Same rule applied to me when I thought the last 3 presidents ALL sucked !!!

It's no accident that the day after they said the trans bathroom issue is a states rights matter that they hint at cracking down on legal cannabis. Is it mearly a bargaining chip?

It's no accident that the day after they said the trans bathroom issue is a states rights matter that they hint at cracking down on legal cannabis. Is it mearly a bargaining chip?
Actually both issues were hit the same day. Funny how it is okay for states to decide what bathroom we can use, but cannot be left up to the states about recreational cannabis.

Most of us in the movement would rather see cannabis removed from the CSA schedule altogether. It has no business being there, it was put there under false pretenses, and the govt shill who did it, got it done with absolutely NO SCIENCE whatsoever. NOW they want scientific proof? Especially when they are sitting on over 25,000 pages of documents testing, studies, and white papers in all manner of medical disciplines??? Are you even serious? Are you all not paying attention? Back when this debacle was being slipped under the radar of the AMA, the govt EXPERT testified under OATH before Congress, that "he took two puffs off of a marijuana cigarette, and turned into a bat". He was a doctor and his name was MUNCH. WHY are we not overrun with bats, today? Where are all of the people dropping dead in the streets? Why in the last 70 years, have the majority of traffic accidents been attributed to alcohol, until the last 10 years, when we have been pushing back so hard on the drug war? People have been driving and smoking cannabis ALL ALONG, and that is what these hypocrites don't want you to think about. The drug war makes sense if you don't about it, too hard. I have been a victim of this senseless, organized ruination of American Lives, and saw how many people of color were in my cell block. This is getting ridiculous, and now we have trump not paying any attention at all, to those he 'picks' for his cabinet. SOMEBODY else is telling him what to do, and he will bow to the will of whomever is behind the real power in this govt, if he hasn't already. I will submit to you, that he has buckled under that power, because of all the stuff his "well-oiled machine" is doing, that makes no sense whatsoever. I did not support the two party system in the last election, because I see this whole farce for what it is. It may be greased palms, but I doubt it's well oiled. I suspect it's covered up with something that smells slightly less agreeable... :scratchinghead::phew::geek::icon_roll:icon_roll:icon_roll

He was voted for, the cabinet is appointed by him, and approved by Congress. NO one I know voted for the president's Cabinet.

Your voice program is just fine.

The only words I have is I hope those of us that voted for this insane tyrant and his cabinet of neo-nazi's is I hope you swallow your smoke with all due consequences. Everythinh this administration does and the hardships endured and lives wastes/lost in the new drug war is on your heads.

Back
Top Bottom