Cooling an 400w HPS with inline fan

pot2010

I was going to be doing a stealth grow soon and decided upon a 400w hps light that has a reflector with an inline fan attachment end to it to cool it off. My issue is that I'd also have a 4" inline fan attached to a carbon filter for the smell. Is there a way to link the hps reflector to the inline fan and the carbon filter so it is one unit? I can't seem to think of how to get it to work.

The only thing I came up with was to attach one of those inline duct fans to the reflector to cool off the light so the inline fan/filter can stay the way they are.

Does your hood/reflector have attachment points on both sides, if it does you can run it like this. If it doesnt post a pic of it.

tent1.png

It was something like this

It doesn't seem to be sealed or have an attachment point on both sides just one.

light_fan_filter.png

Pushing air through the filter instead of sucking will work fine. The air from the light does not get hot enough to affect or cause de-absorbtion in activated carbon,,,,,,,,,,it would have to be much hotter,,,,,,,,,,activated carbon can easily take temps up into the 212f range.

The only issue I see is that the can filters I've seen only have one attachment point for the fan, there isn't another attachment point on the other end

The only issue I see is that the can filters I've seen only have one attachment point for the fan, there isn't another attachment point on the other end

If you look at my masterpiece artwork, I only used one connection point on the light and one connection point on the filter and 2 on the fan.

If you look at my masterpiece artwork, I only used one connection point on the light and one connection point on the filter and 2 on the fan.[/QUO

it looks like the light he has would have an opening on each side, i have not seen to many air cooled lights with only 1 opening, your 1st "masterpiece" should work perfect!

He stated it only had the one opening which means one of two things... 1. It isn't a sealed hood meaning no glass so it pulls air thru. Or 2. It has a grate like vent on the other side and is not designed to use duct on that side but just to pull air through the vent.. In either case the second illustration would work

I think the issue is simple. The fan should attach right onto the light (which has no cooling tube and only one 'hole') drawing the heat off immediately and also allowing the light to act as an 'exhaust'....run the venting tube right to the filter on the other side of the wall of the grow room so the air is filtering the opposite one is used to seeing scrubbing the air at the exit point instead of the entry point....the heat of the light at the fan will also help 'kill/deaden' the odor as it is pulled off....

The benefit of placing the fan right on the light is use metal screws to attaching it right to the hood which is super secure and it will do the most possible 'work' by being closest to the room. when the fan is in a non linear tube it loses up to half its strength and usefulness.

:goodluck:

I think the issue is simple. The fan should attach right onto the light (which has no cooling tube and only one 'hole') drawing the heat off immediately and also allowing the light to act as an 'exhaust'....run the venting tube right to the filter on the other side of the wall of the grow room so the air is filtering the opposite one is used to seeing scrubbing the air at the exit point instead of the entry point....the heat of the light at the fan will also help 'kill/deaden' the odor as it is pulled off....

The benefit of placing the fan right on the light is use metal screws to attaching it right to the hood which is super secure and it will do the most possible 'work' by being closest to the room. when the fan is in a non linear tube it loses up to half its strength and usefulness.

:goodluck:

You're also adding a source of vibration to the light which may 1) cause noise from vibrating metal parts in or on the lamp fixture & 2) could possibly ruin or shorten the life of the bulb. I believe you're far better off isolating the vibration from the light by using a short piece of flexible ducting to connect the two as I have done in my closet. Just a few inches will do it. If you've never had vibrations from a grow light before, trust me, they an be pretty loud & annoying and they'll ruin any chance of stealth that you ever had not to mention the risk to the bulb.

Back
Top Bottom