Court Lets Pot Kid Out of the Joint

qWERTY

A state appeals court has taken a stand against reefer madness - throwing out a 12-month sentence for a 13-year-old kid who was busted for smoking pot.

The teen was spotted by a cop "in a public place" with his 16-year-old sister, who was "smoking a marijuana cigar" that she passed to him, the Appellate Division decision said.

The cop saw him "appear to inhale and then exhale smoke," and busted both him and his sister, the ruling says.

Bronx Family Court Judge Alma Cordova sent the boy, who'd never been in trouble before, to a "limited secure placement" for 12 months.

The appeals court said it was "fairly obvious" that the original judge was trying to get the boy out of a turbulent home situation, but 12 months on a pot charge was not "appropriate."

They ordered the boy, who's already been in a secure facility for eight months, to be let out and for his record to be cleared if he stays out of trouble.

NewsHawk: _qWERTY - 420 Magazine
Source: New York Post (Bronx)
Pubdate: Friday, October 06, 2006
Copyright: 2006 NYP Holdings, Inc.
Website: Today's New York News, Page Six, and the Best Sports in Town - New York Post Online Edition Home

12 months that so dumb a 13 year old thats just messed up

That kid served 8 months on a weed charge? Damn, that's rough.

OK...it's an easy one to read between the lines here too. A 16 yr old sister certainly provided the peer pressure whether it was mentioned or not....NOT in this case.

All along there has been the protest of petty posession, public use, private use, etc......ruining kids chances of ALOT of jobs by having a police record.
It sounds as though he finally got an ACD or 'conditional discharge' if he doesn't re-offend within a yr his record will be wiped completely clean (and it will as I've seen my clean record from NY State & I've been an offender of sorts) and he'll have a decent chance at good income opportunities if he decides to make the proper choices in life.

13 and incarcerated over MJ use!!! First friggin' offense!!!! I can't believe what I'm reading. I wonder what the taxpayers paid for every minute of time this has cost the police/courts/prison/appeals judges???? THIS is what the taxpayers need to protest about......what a flockin waste of $,$$$,$$$.00

HIonLI said:
Kids make mistakes....he should have been ordered counseling or something.

Exactly..... family counseling too of course. gotta keep those folks up to speed in the 'right n wrong' department..........:peace: :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom