Creative ideas for stealth fans needed

jacob420

Hello everyone!

I have a stealth grow in a PC case. It's totally self contained - no air in and no air out. I have put in a DIY CO2 generator. I want to put in a fan, not to vent air just to circulate it around the box.

I have to power the fan with AC mains power. Although the grow is in a PC case, the case has no electronics, only one wire running from the lights out to the socket.

I thought of a hair-dryer fan but separating the fan from the heating electronics was too complex for me. I thought then maybe some sort of aquarium pump.

Does anybody have any creative ideas for suitable fans? Or does anybody know if an aquarium fan might work?

Thanks!

why not use a pc fan,, you can get them in all sizes,, if noise is an issue, you can run it at a lower voltage so it spins slower,, just use a regualr old power brick from any old electronics, to spin at full speed look for 12v dc output,, to spin it slower, look for 9v..

goto a site like newegg and in descriptions you can see the db rating,, just pick the quietest one,, :)

for a good list of quiet and efficient pc fans, google "Recommended silent PC fans".
a pc fan rpm controller is only 6-10$ or get a pc fan with thermostat inside so it ramps up as temps rise.
a hairdryer will sound like, um a hairdryer, and probably snap branches inside a pc case.

I am no expert but if it is sealed good wont you run out of oxygen
or would the air get toxic. plants put off gasses from what i read.
Like to see it work for you.:goodluck:

hey bigjake,, normally it would, but he mentioned he put in a DIY CO2 generator in there,,

which brings another question,,, are you monitoring the CO2 levels? how do you know you are producing enough ot too much CO2 with your DIY generator...

PC fans with any DC power brick are foolproof. Normally if you hook it up backwards the fan will just run in reverse - you usually can't burn them up unless you do something really nutty involving AC power.

If you need them to be quiet you can get special PC fans for just a bit more than generic which are made to run silent. There are also PC fan controllers which allow you to set the speed of the fan so it's not running at full blast all the time. This makes a huge difference in the amount of noise they produce.

Just about any general store - Walgreens etc also have really small AC fans if you just want something you can zip tie on and plug in. The smallest one I have is maybe 3 inches wide and cost less than 8 dollars.

Back
Top Bottom