Dacono Dispensaries Shut Down, Destroy Medical Marijuana Inventory

Truth Seeker

The shredder churned behind Dacono Meds. In about 20 minutes, a small fortune in medical marijuana was turned into mulch, mixed with potting soil and readied for the landfill.

The ban was on.

"I have until 7 p.m. to get rid of this," said owner Brad Henson. "The police will come out at 9 p.m. to check."

That's because of a citywide dispensary ban that locked into place after the close of business Monday night. Dacono now allows no marijuana-related businesses in town. No dispensaries. No grow operations. Nothing.

Whether it stays that way remains to be seen.

On Wednesday night, the Dacono City Council will take up a ballot issue that proposes striking down the ban. The council has two options: Either rescind the ban itself, or schedule an election so Dacono residents can decide whether the dispensaries should reopen their doors.

Of the two, the election is more likely. The council has been split on the issue with a majority favoring the current ban; in November, a proposal to let the city's three dispensaries stay open until an election could be held failed a 4-3 City Council vote.

Those three -- Dacono Meds, MaryJane's Medicinal and Green Medicals -- have sued the city in hopes of overturning the ban. The case received a setback Thursday when Weld District Judge Dinsmore Tuttle said she wouldn't stop Dacono from enforcing its Dec. 31 deadline for the businesses to close.

MaryJane's Medicinal closed up shop ahead of the deadline. A Monday call reached a lengthy voice mail announcing plans to reopen in the same location if a special election defeated the ban, and promising to keep patients informed via email, text messages and Facebook.

"We really want to thank all of our patients for their continued support," the voice mail said. "We are very hopeful we will win our special election and be able to serve you again in 2013."

A phone number for Green Medicals was no longer in service Monday.

As for Dacono Meds, even with their stock turned to pulp and a pungent smell, the company planned to stay in town.
"We're still on a five-year lease, so we still have to do something with this building," said Karen Nab, the dispensary's office manager. "We're looking at a lot of different possibilities -- tobacco products, vaporizers, maybe see if we can have a physician on site to do referrals. But we can't do anything medical marijuana-related. Not the product itself."

Henson said he might be able to suggest other places for patients to go until the issue is settled.

"We're not just going to leave people high and dry," Henson said. "Hopefully, come the election, we'll be back."

The vote could be set anytime from Feb. 11 to May 13.

Dracono_Meds_Owner_Brad_Henson.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: timescall.com
Author: Scott Rochat
Website: Dacono dispensaries shut down, destroy medical marijuana inventory - Longmont Times-Call

Did the ban state that they had to destroy their inventory? Seems a bit harsh, as there is no way I believe for a normal business write-off of inventory federally. If no officials were there to oversee disposal, I have a real hard time believing it would ALL be destroyed. I would only have put some token amount and moved the rest. Better than destroying, give it away to legal MMJ State card holders. Is there a law against giving away Medical Cannabis to Medically Qualified recipients?

Of course it did not list all the ban rules in this article, so surely I am missing something. I would have given it all away to customers if it was possible. Wonder how many liquor licensed stores they have taken a license away from since they issued them? It was a state legalized product, just as alcohol and ciggs. Does anyone in the right mind believe they could ban Tobacco sales without being in court by the Tobacco Lobby for years to come? This crap is going to continue to happen as long as ignorant people sit on City Councils. Where are the Harvey Milk's when you need them.. :)

Back
Top Bottom