Daugaard Says He Could Back Amended Medical Marijuana Bill

Robert Celt

Gov. Dennis Daugaard says his views on a medical marijuana measure have changed since it was amended to legalize the use of a cannabis derivative for seizure disorders.

Daugaard said Thursday that he hadn't thoroughly vetted the measure, but would be likely to support Senate Bill 171 if it arrived on his desk.

The measure previously legalized small amounts of marijuana for medical use, but has since been amended to allow the use of cannabidiol for people with seizure disorders. Cannabidiol, also known as CBD, is a marijuana derivative that doesn't create the sensation of being high.

The Republican governor said he previously opposed the bill because it could create a gateway for recreational marijuana use, which he said the state doesn't need.

He said he understands some of the anguish of parents whose children struggle with seizures and can't find a solution and could back another option.

"I have great sympathy for people who have seizure disorders. Our own daughter Laura when she was younger had a number of grand mal seizures and I can't tell you how Linda and I were just deathly afraid for her," Daugaard said. "If this is one more means by which those kinds of things can be avoided, I certainly want to support that."

George Hendrickson, of Sioux Falls, was astounded by the news Thursday that Daugaard would seriously consider signing the bill.

"I can't believe it," Hendrickson said. "That's the best possible thing we could get besides the House passing it today."

Hendrickson's three-year-old son Eliyah has Dravet Syndrome and has multiple seizures a day. Having CBD oil to help treat his seizures could make life much better for Eliyah and for their family, Hendrickson said.

"We're a step closer to being able to get safe access without the threat of being arrested," he said.

The bill is set to be heard in the House Health and Human Services Committee on Tuesday. The Senate approved the measure on a 20-15 vote.

Opponents say the state shouldn't allow a drug that hasn't been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and worry it could lead to recreational use of marijuana.

Cannabis22.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Daugaard Says He Could Back Amended Medical Marijuana Bill
Author: Dana Fergusen
Photo Credit: Justin Sullivan

Back
Top Bottom