Debate On Medical Marijuana At Wilton Library

Herb Fellow

WILTON – The debate over legalizing marijuana for medical reasons continued at a public forum at the Wilton Library Thursday.

Rep. Toni Boucher, R-143, who represents Wilton in the state legislature and is a vigorous opponent of legalizing medical marijuana, continued her opposition at the forum. "It [legalizing medical marijuana] is producing negative outcomes for those communities," in the 13 states where it has been legalized, said Boucher.

In June, Gov. M. Jodi Rell vetoed a bill which the legislature passed advocating legalization of medical marijuana. It passed both the House of Representatives and the State Senate by comfortable margins. It would have allowed people to grow marijuana at home.

Advocates for legalizing medical marijuana contend it helps people who are seriously ill. They argue marijuana smokers report they have less nausea and it helps restore their appetite better than other drugs.

Michael Lawlor, D-99, who represents East Haven in the legislature, said the current law isn't working. He's a former prosecutor in the State Attorney's Office in New Haven and is currently Assistant Professor of Criminal Justice at the University of New Haven.

He said police are not enforcing the law against people who they know are using marijuana for medical reasons. "I think it's wrong to have laws ignored by law enforcement," he said. "If the reality doesn't conform to the theory one of them has to change."

Lawlor said the public supports legalizing medical marijuana. "It's a two-to-one majority in the polls and that's as good as it gets."

But Boucher dismissed the polls saying they weren't accurate and said the polls responses are skewed by how the question is asked. Instead, said Boucher, when she talks to people and explains her position she said they oppose legalizing medical marijuana. "I think there is more harm to this than people believe; that's why it's a Schedule I drug," she said.

The federal government's guidelines says a Schedule I drug has a high potential for abuse and has little medical value. The real issue isn't medical marijuana, said a Bridgeport doctor, rather it's people who want to see marijuana decriminalized.

"I think there is a powerful lobby out there and they're trying to legalize this drug and the first step is decriminalization [of medical marijuana]," said Seyed H. Aleali, MD.

He said there are other drugs available which can be used to treat people instead of marijuana. Those drugs are tested and their strength and side effects are known because they have gone through an extensive regulatory process.

"I don't think there is any medical reason for me to have it decriminalized," said Aleali. Instead, he said there are increasing studies showing marijuana is a much more addictive drug than previously thought. He said one in 11 people who use marijuana will become addicted to it. Of those who become addicted "forty percent will end up with psychosis. That is scary, that is very scary," said Aleali.

Source: Wilton Villager Online
Copyright: 2007 Wilton Villager
Website: wilton villager - Debate on medical marijuana at Wilton Library

W.T.F. IS SHE SMOKING?
IT'S ALMOST FUNNY TO READ BUT TREMENDOUSLY g%%#$K-UP
SPECIFIC LY TO ME WHEN I HAVE BEEN POISONED WITH DIABETES'S DUE TO EXTENSIVELY RESEARCHED MEDICINE BY CORPORATE WARMONGER'S & TRUE DOPE DEALER'S WITH A LICENSE TO KILL(MURDER) POISON:thedoubletake:

Back
Top Bottom