Demonstration Calling on Mary Bono to Vote for the Hinchey Amendment!

Marianne

A medical marijuana patient support group and law reform organization is calling for a protest demonstration at the Palm Springs offices of U.S.
Representative Mary Bono. The Inland Empire based Marijuana Anti-Prohibition Project is concerned that Rep. Bono will be voting against an amendment that if passed, would help end the dichotomy between state and federal law. The amendment, named Hinchey-Rorhabacher, would essentially prohibit the DEA from arresting medical marijuana patients in states where the medical use of marijuana has been approved.

Lanny Swerdlow, Director of MAPP, expresses his frustration with trying to reach Rep. Bono's office. "Twice we have sent her office letters regarding medical marijuana issues. The first letter was her vote last year against the Hinchey-Rohrabacher Amendment. The second letter asked for her support of research funds to expand the study done at UCLA which not only showed marijuana did not cause lung cancer, but showed the possibility that marijuana might actually prevent lung cancer. Although over 30 individual letters were sent to her office, she did not answer one of them."

Similar frustrations were voiced by Ryan Michaels, a medical marijuana patient advocate who, along with DEA victim Gary Silva, were in Washington D.C. this week to meet with congressional offices on medical marijuana issues and the Hinchey-Rohrabacher amendment in particular.
The reception was very good, according to Michaels, except at Rep.
Bono's office. "We meet with eleven congressional offices and the only one who was not respectful of our concerns and treated us almost like criminals was Rep. Bono's office and we live in her district."

The demonstration will take place at *12 noon** on Monday, June 26* in front of Rep. Bono's office at *707 E. Tahquitz Canyon Way*. For additional information, the public may call 760-799-2055.

Newskhawk: Happykid - 420 Magazine
Author: Rebecca Satlzman
Source: DrugSense.org
Copyright: 2006 Drug Sense

I hope the Hinchey-Rohrabacher amendment is passed this time but I am not holding my breath.

Back
Top Bottom