Denver Restaurant Owners Raided In Pot Operation Say They're Legit

A prominent Denver couple active in the restaurant and political communities is at the center of what could be a precedent setting medical marijuana case after police raided a suburban business park and confiscated hundreds of marijuana plants.

Scott Durrah and Wanda James own the popular Eight Rivers restaurants, and she's a political activist that worked on Obama's Colorado finance committee. They say that not only is the pot legit, it is all being grown for their medical marijuana dispensary business.

The confusing laws regarding grow operations leave both police and growers in a legal limbo.

Police say this north Denver bust is the biggest medical marijuana grow operation they have seen.

"We went inside, we found 536 plants in difference stages of growth," said a police spokesman. "We found marijuana plants everywhere."

The north metro drug task force recently raided the facility in a north suburban business park after neighboring businesses complained.

"It was making customers sick and it was something they reported to police because they weren't sure what it was," police say.

Owners Wanda James and Scott Durrah are movers and shakers on the political and restaurant scenes in Denver.

"Our lease clearly states we are growing marijuana there, it wasn't a secret from anybody," said James "The owner knows, the developer knew."

They say their dispensary and grow operation are legit and there was no need for a raid.

"We're pioneers and we put ourselves out there as well," says Durrah. "We knew the attention would come to us whether we liked it or not."

They have a book they call their bible. It has copies of medical marijuana card for every person they claim are patients.

But investigators say they're still trying to verify the list of patients pointing out this is an area where they've seen abuse in other cases.

"It's the same license being passed around and there is evidence they're selling these licenses to the caregiver so the caregiver feels legitimate."

"we had no clue that this island skunk would grow this tall and high," explained Durrah at the warehouse during the police raid.

Police say driving the possible abuse at grow operations - money.

"To make a profit in this business, to be responsible, you have to grow your own because the costs are way too high to purchase it from it from growers to make a difference," says Durrah.

Police say dispensaries sell medical marijuana for 320 to 420 dollars an ounce.

They say that's driving up the black market price - and higher prices drive up crime.

Police say they are seeing robberies, burglaries and assaults as a direct result of the economics of pot dispensaries.

"The problem we have with a large scale grow like this operation, it impacts the neighbors, it impacts the neighborhoods," say police.

But Durrah and James insist their marijuana business is legit - and it's time law enforcement recognizes that.

"We are only doing what the law provided and why should was as an industry as those who are running it correctly be punished without facts, without a trial?"

With raids on grow operations on the rise all sides agree - the state has to come up with laws and regulations that clarify things.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: KDVR-TV
Author: Julie Hayden
Copyright: 2010 KDVR-TV

"Police say this north Denver bust is the biggest medical marijuana grow operation they have seen."

"Police say dispensaries sell medical marijuana for 320 to 420 dollars an ounce.

They say that's driving up the black market price - and higher prices drive up crime."

I hope those are the Exact words of the police if so, Seems they have all ready verbally recognized it as being medicinal.

And that they are in fact the ones driving up "Medical" cannabis cost as well as Black Market.

Can any one find the email of
By Julie Hayden KDVR Denver
to verify and document said police statement?

Maybe the police should have sided with the MM patients and start requiring disp prices to go down !! They can grow what they sell to legal patients but the prices must be lower ! 250 an oz should be an average price for top shelf weed !! Thats plenty for people to make a profit and patients get their meds at a fair price . Once this is stable who knows maybe insurance cos'. will pay for legal MM perscriptions !? :peace: and the lower prices will keep the illegal market not worth the risk ? :hmmmm:

Agreed, if dispensary prices aren't kept to half of street prices its just easier for me to get my skunk buds from the dealer down the block. (and better to support a "local businessman")

Turkey

i know i'm going to ruffle alot of feathers here but this is what having legal weed is going to do . they are going to tax the shit out of consumers. just wait n see when the government refines all this legal limbo crap . wait till they hire other countries to grow all the dispensories products out of country n ship it in .there will be dispensories but now they will be under strict scutiny from the government . inspectors ,books n taxes . if you want the prices to be lower its not gonna happen by asking a private business to drop them because you dont want to pay . you simply have no choice legaly.

i think as a first step in marijuana legalities help to refine the prosicution penalties of marijuana to simple misdemeaners and things like this. thus helping keep the norm pricing of product ratio's similar to the past economic standings without increase from changing market values created by the dispensories.
if you want legal weed we as an underground community are opening up a new market with this comes severe changes and they are not all going to be good .pricing being the first n foremost reason . i do not want weed to be legal for this reason and think we should concentrate more on refining the laws to keep the penalties minor thus not have ing to go to prison for it. keeping weed underground is much more promising to us than to having it legal and costing us everything.
i fear this will only stir up more problems for mmj patients and therefore defeting the purpose. its not suppose to create more problems for them .
people will never be satisfied no matter what. you have dispensories but, the price is making you cry. i am all for mmj but am not for everyone else trying to hop the wagon. i know this is an empty statement since i doubt that any of you will agree with me but i'll say it anyway.

please push reform not legalization !!! . first things first !!!.

medical users are covered with dispensories now lets try to keep the rest of us out of jail n prison.... they will not legalize so lets reform! this polititions agree with.!

as long as we stay free . brother as long as we stay free. i dont care about legalities . just dont lock me up for it . i will pay fines if i'm dumb enough to get cought or do community service but please dont give me a felony .this we as a nation can acheive instead of pushing legalization :peace:

Agreed, if dispensary prices aren't kept to half of street prices its just easier for me to get my skunk buds from the dealer down the block. (and better to support a "local businessman")

Turkey

Ya, that's why all the caregivers in my area dropped there prices to $250/oz and it $300/oz on the black market. The caregivers that do it for $200/oz or lower have crap medicine. It costs money to grow good meds. Not 400 bucks though. I think you can cover your costs with 150-200 bucks an oz. An growers should be compensated for there time. It is quite a bit of a commitment.

I doubt it will be legal anytime soon but I agree with you (jigga) if we want to be able to buy fairly priced weed ,we need to stop being greedy ! I give a lot of my stuff away to friends who can't afford to pay disp prices! I know if I wanted to sell my shit I probably could but unless I'm really hurting it's more fun giving away ! I'd never buy it from the gov. cause you know they'll fuck it up !! :peace:

thats for sure . we all still have bills n responsibilities other than cannabis . we cant allow the fact that its legal let them jack all their prices up to medicate the people who need it . even if by some chance insurance will cover the cost. dispensories are not the answer they are a culture club for the extremely privaledged and will exploit the hell out of it. not to mention create more black marketering with the people who can get a card n choose to exploit this also. i imagine this is where the communities have problems with haveing them around. they do deserve a good bit of what they charge for they work hard to grow unless they surpluss orders from distributors . which in turn go global if this keeps up. i do not like the way these things are going. it is making growing way to common. and well known by authorities.

True, suppliers DO deserve just compensation for their efforts. I am paying $250 an OZ for primo bud in my local black market.

this is very fair considering all the costs of maitaining these grows. 10$ bucks a gr. is pushing it. unless the guy likes you ...lol

Back
Top Bottom