Despite Apparent Roadblocks, Legislature Should Legalize Medical Marijuana

MedicalNeed

For all of those hopeful, keep dreaming. Obtaining a written prescription for medical marijuana in Iowa likely won't happen anytime soon, according to one state legislator.

While the Iowa Board of Pharmacy recently took its final step, drawing up legislation for the Iowa Legislature to consider when it reconvenes in January, Rep. Dave Jacoby, D-Coralville, told the Editorial Board "the bill has no chance this year." Jacoby said he doesn't expect it to even get out of subcommittee.

The Editorial Board has consistently backed legalizing medical marijuana in the past, and we stand by that position. While Jacoby's comments aren't good for medical-marijuana advocates such as us, it doesn't deter us from restating our support. Iowa should join 15 other states and allow patients to receive marijuana for medicinal uses.

This past summer, there was confusion between the Iowa Board of Pharmacy and the Legislature over which had the authority to reschedule medical marijuana. With that dispute effectively over, the ball is now in Iowa lawmakers' court.

Jacoby said that for the Legislature to approve a rescheduling, however, it needs to be OK'd by health-care professionals, the general public, and law enforcement. "You need those three," Jacoby said. "Without all three of those, it just isn't going far." In addition, Republicans now control the House – a hardly propitious switch for medical-marijuana advocates.

Despite the apparent roadblocks, we still support legalizing medical marijuana, however. Opponents need only look at the facts.

Ronald Herman, a University of Iowa clinical professor and director of the Iowa Drug Information Network at the UI College of Pharmacy, said marijuana has legitimate medicinal uses, including relieving pain and nausea and stimulating appetite. There are current treatments used for each of the listed symptoms, all proving to work just as well, if not better. But when comparing medical marijuana to a placebo, studies have shown the marijuana works significantly better.

In addition, medical marijuana has been shown to effectively treat the following five ailments: multiple sclerosis, glaucoma, Parkinson's disease, Tourette syndrome, and epilepsy. Still, very few studies have been conducted, and further research is necessary. "Moving it from schedule I to II will allow more search to be done related to its merits," Herman said. (He wouldn't comment on whether he favored rescheduling the substance.)

While there are certainly other current regiments that provide the same medical benefits as marijuana, every patient is different. Medical marijuana is merely another alternative. Its effects might prove to work better on certain patients than the medicines currently available.

People are suffering, and the current treatments are failing to ease their pain. It's crucial that legislators at least look into the medical marijuana legalization issue before pre-emptively dismissing it. They owe it to Iowans.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: dailyiowan.com
Author: DI EDITORIAL BOARD
Copyright:2010 The Daily Iowan
Website:Despite apparent roadblocks, Legislature should legalize medical marijuana - The Daily Iowan

"Ronald Herman, a University of Iowa clinical professor and director of the Iowa Drug Information Network at the UI College of Pharmacy, said marijuana has legitimate medicinal uses, including relieving pain and nausea and stimulating appetite. There are current treatments used for each of the listed symptoms, all proving to work just as well :clown:, if not better. WRONG! PROOF: "There is no drug in the U.S, Pharmacopoeia that controls Chronic Nausea & Vomiting. All anti-emetic drugs are for Acute, Short term use only.i But when comparing medical marijuana to a placebo, studies have shown the marijuana works significantly better."
This is a flat out lie and he knows it. I was at the meeting in Iowa City where he presented his case. He, with the IBOP's blessing, thinks cannabis should be legalized for the drugs that could be extracted from it only not for the use of the plant. When I asked him "What's the LD 50 Factor for Cannabis he stammered and said it couldn't be acurataly measured." I replied with, " But the fact is the LD-50 Facter for Marijuana is 'off the charts in the direction of safety, correct?" "Correct," he said. Enough said, LEGALIZE IT! :thumb:

I have given up on IOWA. I suggest all who need Medical Cannabis move to a legal State as I am doing in a few months. Iowa will not see Medical Cannabis before the Federal Gov't moves it out of Federal Schedule I. When do you think that will happen? The people in Iowa, for the most part, are uneducated as to the miracles of Cannabis. They are afraid and do not want to go there, ever! Iowa has the LOWEST population of Cannabis user's in the U.S. Or is it Iowans are more fearful of their State Gov't who dearly wants to send them to Prison and destroy their families, jobs and life. If that isn't prejudiced against the sick I don't know what is. Bottom line the people of Iowa keep electing these 420 Unfriendly Politicians so that must mean the people of Iowa do not like cannabis. Only a few like RevRayGreen, Lord Mota, St Michael and TheDeacon from Green Central Station Internet Radio show now on NORML's Daily Audio Stash and found at Des Moines Amplified.com continually campaign for MMJ. In Iowa we have the Cure For Cancer in the name of Lynnice Wedewer who has Killed 7 Different Cancer attacks on her via The Cannabis Plant! She has her own Web Site with all Cancer Killing Properties of the Cannabis Plant listed and many research studies. Lynn is a walking, talking Miracle Of Health With Cannabis. Google this name for her site Lynnice Wedewer. :goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom