Dixon Council Opposes Pot Shops

Reversing a 5-year-old ordinance, Dixon is now banning medical marijuana dispensaries in the city.

After an almost four-hour discussion and public hearing, and after some hesitation, council members voted 3-2 in favor of a putting a halt to dispensaries setting up shop in the city.

During a future meeting, the council will give final approval to an ordinance specifying that Dixon will not approve business licenses or land uses for enterprises or purposes that are contrary to federal, state or local level.

Since medical marijuana is not legal at a federal level, that ordinance would result in the repeal of the current ordinance, approved in 2004, that allows dispensaries in the city.

Councilmen Michael Ceremello and Dane Besneatte dissented.

"We pay for the sins of our forefathers," said Mayor Jack Batchelor. "I disagreed with the passing of the ordinance then and I disagree with it now."

Waiting until the last minute to make up his mind, Vice Mayor Rick Fuller tried to weigh the options.

"I'm concerned there isn't enough regulation," he said. "I'm not sure this is in the best interest of the community as a whole. ... For me, this doesn't pass the 'smell test.'"

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Daily Democrat
Copyright: 2009 Daily Democrat

This is all nothing but a bunch of crap. I guess that it's better to be an alcoholic, (which is legal and there are many) in their opinion. So if the city of Dixon does a booze-centered spiral fall, I don't want to hear of any snibbling. You "higher-up's" make me sick.

Back
Top Bottom