Ever use paint to coat res?

I have a tub that fits into my res. I want to try a grow only in large rockwool with no other medium. I've seen awesome results from my friend and its a lot less work. What my problem is that the tubs plastic is white and not solid so light gets through it to the water in the res. With hydroton this is not a problem..

So, is there a paint that won't chip off of plasic and is hypoallergenic or safe being close to the water. By painting the underside, it will never have direct contact with the water except for a few drops...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paint will not adhere well to the plastic. That being said, there are rubber based, food grade, two stage paints that will work with moisture and are impervious to algae. Any quality hardware store should be able to help you.

Picked up a can of plastic primer and white satin they didn't have flat plastic spray paint from the automotive store. Cost a bit more than other places but supposed to be formulated for outdoor automotive uses so I"ll let everyone know how it turns out I've just been waiting on a few good days of solid temps to paint outside hate to screw it up with low temps.

Wake~~n~~Bakin in NM
Hyrdo setup for upcomming cabinet- Suggestions?

you can get cheap black rubberized spraypaint cans for under coating trucks at auto stores. lightly sand outside of pail then use rubbing alcohol to wipe down out side of pails.then spray. or by black buckets. a squit of flat brown and flat olive green make great camo pails.

Well I have started painting the totes I have with the white satin plastic spray paint. I was surprised at how well it adhered to the tote after spraying it with the primer first and letting it set overnight. Tomorrow I will paint another coat or two on the biggest tote and I think it will effectively block and reflect light even though it isn't black. I plan to do weekly water changes with R.O. water if I can get enough out of the existing system that is in the house. Get keys this week! I cannot wait to get started.
I had expected the paint to flake or peel but it hasn't shown any signs of doing that and is holding well to scratching.

Wake~~n~~Bakin in NM

Rather than paint you might want to do this instead..

Wrap the container in wall insulation (the kind with a paper backing.
Use Reflective metal tape (I think its for ducts or something)
wap the whole insulated container in the reflective tape..it will hold the insulation in place and reflect all the light.

This will help keep water temps low and block out light...Works great with DWC buckets..

I had concidered that alternative also but at the container in the flowering chamber doesn't actually hold much water for very long I don't have the temp problems in the container. I actually have a little sticky thermo I think I'll try to stick in there and see what temps are actually in the container.
The lid was a solid color but I painted it white anyways in hopes of reflecting the light back.
So far I've been very happy with the outcome of the paintjob just a few scratches here and there where I was 'REALLY' rough with it.

Any other thougths and questions apprecitated..

Back
Top Bottom