F1 pure strain tips

Damagoman

Yeapper, from OG (Gone but not forgoten),
if you wrote it, Thanks :cheesygrinsmiley:

---------------
The F1 hybrid crop:
Any given trait expressed by an organism reflects the organism’s controlling gene(s) for that trait. An F1 hybrid is the result of crossing a male from one purebred strain to a female of another purebred strain. In the case of F1 hybrids, the gene responsible for each of the hybrid’s expressed traits is the more dominant gene derived from one of the parents. This follows from the limited gene combinations possible in crossing two pure strains. The dominant gene for any given trait will be expressed in the hybrid if present in EITHER parent’s genetics. If it’s not expressed, then BOTH parents were recessive for the trait and the hybrid will also be recessive for the trait. The F1 hybrid expresses traits resulting from the most dominant gene for any given trait of BOTH parents in ONE plant. This gives rise to "hybrid vigor" among other qualities.

It’s well known that F1 hybrids cannot simply be crossed to produce more seeds of the same kind. Crossing F1 hybrids creates the F2 generation, which is full of variations due to the recessive gene recombination inherent in crossing two members of the F1 generation.

When growing out a batch of commercially obtained F1 hybrid seeds, the typical grower’s goal is to find the ONE or TWO best females in the group to keep as clone mothers…that’s more than enough to grow the strain, even commercially, indefinitely. If the mothers are ever destroyed, they can only be replaced by one of their own clones IF available. Otherwise, one must begin again with more of the original F1 hybrid seed.

In selecting purebred males of “strain A” for breeding F1 hybrids, we first cull all those expressing any trait considered undesirable. The remaining, select males are then used to pollinate the purebred female(s) of “strain B” chosen by similarly culling all those observed to express undesirable traits. This is explained in more detail in my previous post, "Selecting Breeding Individuals for Marijuana Production".

Ideally it is best to pollinate clones of a chosen female, each with the pollen of a different selected male and tag them accordingly. The seeds obtained are labeled, kept separate, and grown out. This allows definite identification of the “superior” male through the identification of his superior offspring. Once identified, this male can then be used to mass-pollinate the selected female for a HUGE batch of 100% superior F1 seeds. The disadvantage of this method is the enormous space required to keep clones of all the males and females involved in the breeding program for the months of testing required.

An alternative F1 hybrid breeding method I’ve used borrows from the “cubing a clone” technique. This is the technique of mixing pollen from all the selected males. This method guarantees that from the very first group of seedlings, a predefined fraction will be the offspring of the best male plant (defined as the male responsible for creating the best daughters). They will be easy to identify, being the superior plants.

The disadvantage of this method is that the identity of the responsible male is lost, rendering that specific cross difficult to repeat. That’s a major disadvantage if the intention were commercial production of the hybrid strain. However because it’s more time-saving & practical, mixing the pollen is the best method for home breeders wishing only to obtain a great clone mother. One need only germinate a large enough group of seeds to ensure several female offspring of each select male & the future clone mother will be among them.

Consider Cubing:

Cubing a clone is a way to create a unique seedline (a “strain”) modeled after a currently existing female individual. The goal is to create seeds from which the females replicate the phenotype of the original female. Obviously the chosen female should be an outstanding specimen.

Procedure:

CONTINUOUSLY KEEP A MOTHER IN THE VEGETATIVE STATE TO PROVIDE CLONES

1. Pollinate a flowering clone of the original female with the pollen of a related male, preferably her father or a brother. The resulting seeds contain 1/2 the original female's genes and 1/2 those of the male. An unrelated male won’t have the Y-chromosome of the chosen female’s family & therefore any Y-linked traits of the family will always be missing in the seedline.

2. Grow the above seeds & flower them. Collect an equal quantity of pollen from each selected male and mix it together.

3. Pollinate a flowering clone of the original female with the above pollen. These seeds contain 1/2 the original female’s genes plus 1/4 more because the male used was 1/2 her genetics too. I call this generation “.75” to capture the idea that it’s 3/4 of the original female’s genetics.

4. Grow the above seeds & flower them. Collect an equal quantity of pollen from each selected male and mix it together.

5. Pollinate a flowering clone of the original female with the above pollen. These seeds contain 7/8 the original genes (1/2+3/8), the ".88" generation.

6. Grow the above seeds & flower them. Collect an equal quantity of pollen from each selected male and mix it together.

7. Pollinate a flowering clone of the original female with the above pollen. These seeds contain 15/16 the original genes (1/2+7/16), the ".94" generation. Theoretically this will be a stable, true-breeding seedline from which all females are replicas of the original.

Note that in cubing we have no further use for the males of previous generations after taking their pollen. Therefore mixing the pollen & losing the identity of “best male” is no problem here. The goal of the cubed strain is to be true breeding, independent upon P1 generations for reproduction after a certain number of steps in the cubing process.

I recommend carefully evaluating the females produced in each generation of the cubing process to monitor their progress. If the results don’t progressively shift toward your goals, then you may have to change your male selection parameters.

----------
just one of many docs that I use for reference :allgood:

I think there are no serious rules in the art of breeding. Being a newbie breeder for 2 years, i learnt very much on this thing and I disagree for that F1, F2... rules. We're (with a Citral fan) grew some Citral from the second generation. The F1 was from Nirvana. The best way not to make the unstable F2 is to chose the mom and the father is to chose the same height plants, who have the same spread of leaves. Then the F2 generation will be almost like the F1.
One my friend bred a new lowryder phenotype, in inbreeding two lowryders, who were the tallest of all in height. Now the F2 generation produces 30% 50-70cm height plants and 70% 30-50% height plants, who are the same high, but the taller "version" has a little bit wait 'till it will flower.
My English is not as clear as I want, so don't be angry for my mistakes. And remember, no rules!!! Do everything with love and preparation.
PEACE

wait a minute QnxGanja, Either your mixed up or I'm misunderstanding your post. What about the p-1's? F-1's are the offspring from 2 p-1's(parents or original seed). F-2's are the offspring from breeding 2 f-1's. F-2's are the 3rd generation from the original seed. That is why you see so many different phenotypes from f-2 seeds.

Many traits are not dominant. Some, like the genes that determine THC and CBD ratios are CO-DOMINANT.
This means that the genes from both are both working the same to make an "average" if you will, of the two parents.

I guess even the stuff from OG has to taken in the spirit, not the letter, though.

Back
Top Bottom