Fan Speed (another electrical question)

Bobzilla

So i was just at my local habitat for humanity building material store and found an old stove top with a squirrel cage fan rated at 170cfm attached to it. The whole thing cost $35 bucks so i'm pretty excited about it.

BUT...

When it was attached to the stove it had a high/low switch. I removed the fan from the stove top and wired it to a cord i could plug strait into my wall. When i plug it in it is on the low setting. I tried to take the switch out and re-wire it to the fan, but it's too complicated for me.

Is there a way i can get/make my own switch to act as the old switch did? Would a fan speed controller work? If so that would be great. But (i may be wrong) i thought something like that will only be able to reduce the speed of the fan, compared to a fan plugged directly into the wall with no speed controller.

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense. I tried my best to get as much detail in as possible.

how many wires come from the fan? how many wires come from the switch? i'm thinking the fan has 2 power in wires (1 low speed 1 high speed), and 1 power out (common).
be very careful when messin with power it can kill you.

Thanks drewapicture. That was the case indeed. The schematics laid it out pretty clearly. I wish i would have found them before i freaked out and asked for help. Also, thanks for your concern, but i am well aware of the dangers of electricity. I wouldn't say i'm messing with power, i'm just doing a lot of research and learning as i go.

Back
Top Bottom