Fears About Seattle Marijuana Initiative Appear Unfounded

Roachclip

A marijuana initiative in Seattle, Wash., that makes possession of the drug a low law-enforcement priority appears not to have increased marijuana use, the Seattle Times reported Aug. 18.

Voters approved the I-75 ballot item in last September's election. The measure relaxes enforcement against adults who possess 40 grams or less of marijuana for personal use. Backer said it would allow police and elected leaders to focus on more serious crimes.

In the first six months of 2004, the city prosecuted 18 cases of marijuana possession, compared with 70 cases during the same time period last year. "I think police received the message that they are not supposed to emphasize enforcement," said City Attorney Tom Carr.

Even though the number of people prosecuted for possession has significantly declined, there is no evidence that marijuana consumption has increased. "The early indication is that I-75 has been highly effective," said Dominic Holden, a member of the city-sanctioned Marijuana Policy Review Panel, which created the initiative. "That seems the only way you could explain the drastic reduction in cases."

Although Carr was concerned that the initiative would encourage increased marijuana use among teenagers, he acknowledged that it hasn't happened. "I'm glad I was wrong," he said. "There is nothing to suggest I-75 has caused widespread use of marijuana in Seattle."

Join Together Online
8/23/2004
Partnership for Drug-Free Kids – Where Families Find Answers

Back
Top Bottom