First time indoor with hempy buckets

2percentmilk

Hey 420 magazine, I have a few questions relating to my first indoor hydro grow. I'll start by setting a base for what I'm trying to accomplish. I've been growing the past 4 years but it has always been outside, I first started with miracle grow vermiculite and perlite for a starts and yielded horribly but learned alot. Over time my skills got better and I eventually created my own super soil recipe and yielded close to 5 lbs off of a single plant. This time is a little different though, I recently moved to pretty much the middle of nowhere and my options for soil are extremely limited unless I want to spend insane amounts of money ordering my substrate which I really would prefer not to. (I also want to try something new.)

Now that that's out of the way I'll be recieving a 3x3 grow tent shortly and plan on running 4 plants under a mars hydro 96 reflector and a viparspectra par 600.

Since this is my first hydro/indoor grow I'm completely unsure of the following.

1. Would a 5 gallon bucket be overkill for hempy? I realize the most explosive growth happens once the roots reach the bottom of the reservoir and I feel like it might take awhile for the roots to penetrate that deep but I'm also trying to fill the entire tent very tightly with 4 plants. (These plants will be photoperiod)

2. As I've been researching a bit online there seems to be alot of debate on the type of substrate I should use. I dont have any access to coco locally but I have access to both vermiculite and perlite. Of all these which one would work the best.
Perlite base with a 75/25 vermiculite/perlite mix
Perlite base with a 50/50 vermiculite/perlite mix
Or a 100% perlite mix.
Also does ph seem to fluctuate a ton with vermiculite? I read that in a few places and it's something I'm worried about.

3. When should I start feeding my seedlings? I've never not used soil so this confuses me I'm aware that seedlings start off with enough nutes to start at least for about the first couple days but when should I be adding nutes as to avoid killing them early?

4. I currently have access to 3 different types of nutrient lines.
General Hydroponics
Botanicare
Advanced Nutrients
Which one of these would be the best choice or should I go for a different product online. (Remember I'm trying to go a bit on the cheaper side for this.)

5. And lastly how often should I water the hempy bucket? I've read a few different answers varying from twice a day to once every 3 days and some clarification could really help.

Hey 420 magazine, I have a few questions relating to my first indoor hydro grow. I'll start by setting a base for what I'm trying to accomplish. I've been growing the past 4 years but it has always been outside, I first started with miracle grow vermiculite and perlite for a starts and yielded horribly but learned alot. Over time my skills got better and I eventually created my own super soil recipe and yielded close to 5 lbs off of a single plant. This time is a little different though, I recently moved to pretty much the middle of nowhere and my options for soil are extremely limited unless I want to spend insane amounts of money ordering my substrate which I really would prefer not to. (I also want to try something new.)

Now that that's out of the way I'll be recieving a 3x3 grow tent shortly and plan on running 4 plants under a mars hydro 96 reflector and a viparspectra par 600.

Since this is my first hydro/indoor grow I'm completely unsure of the following.

1. Would a 5 gallon bucket be overkill for hempy? I realize the most explosive growth happens once the roots reach the bottom of the reservoir and I feel like it might take awhile for the roots to penetrate that deep but I'm also trying to fill the entire tent very tightly with 4 plants. (These plants will be photoperiod)

Five gallon buckets are great for hempy! :thumb:

2. As I've been researching a bit online there seems to be alot of debate on the type of substrate I should use. I dont have any access to coco locally but I have access to both vermiculite and perlite. Of all these which one would work the best.
Perlite base with a 75/25 vermiculite/perlite mix
Perlite base with a 50/50 vermiculite/perlite mix
Or a 100% perlite mix.
Also does ph seem to fluctuate a ton with vermiculite? I read that in a few places and it's something I'm worried about.

When I was doing hempy, I used 25% vermiculite. I've seen people do, and have done, 100% perlite with no problems, too, but the veremiculite helps wick the water. PH fluctuates in hydro - period! I've never noticed more fluctuation with vermiculite, although, it's possible.

3. When should I start feeding my seedlings? I've never not used soil so this confuses me I'm aware that seedlings start off with enough nutes to start at least for about the first couple days but when should I be adding nutes as to avoid killing them early?

Once they have three true nodes (don't count the cotyledons!), start them on 1/4 strength nutes.

4. I currently have access to 3 different types of nutrient lines.
General Hydroponics
Botanicare
Advanced Nutrients
Which one of these would be the best choice or should I go for a different product online. (Remember I'm trying to go a bit on the cheaper side for this.)

I'd go with the GH, especially if price is a consideration. When I was doing hydro, I eventually went to the Advanced Nutrients, and AN has a "PH Perfect" line that will keep your PH from fluctuating. But, there are also a ton of supplements with the AN line that aren't really necessary but can help "push" the plants (and your wallet!) to their max. GH is a solid line of nutes and is well suited for the "Lucas Formula" if you wanted to go that route.

5. And lastly how often should I water the hempy bucket? I've read a few different answers varying from twice a day to once every 3 days and some clarification could really help.

Water when the buckets get light. The number of days will vary based on the size of the plant and its ability to uptake water during different phases of growth. When mature, you'll likely need to feed every two days, or so. When a hempy bucket is dry, it is EXTREMELY light weight, so it's easy to tell! ;)

Please see notes in RED above!

I start in solo cups, and go to 1.5 gal bucket, the 3gal, and finish in a 5gal or bigger

Hard for them to hit the rezz in a 5gal starting out

I've used Perlite and vermiculite mix, but now just Perlite, never noticed much difference

I use GH Flora Trio nutes, tried AN and others, like the GH the best

I start in solo cups, and go to 1.5 gal bucket, the 3gal, and finish in a 5gal or bigger

Hard for them to hit the rezz in a 5gal starting out

I've used Perlite and vermiculite mix, but now just Perlite, never noticed much difference

I use GH Flora Trio nutes, tried AN and others, like the GH the best
How well does transplanting go in just straight perlite? I'd imagine that taking it out of the solo cup the roots would pretty much just break off from the perlite.

Never had em break...they wrap around it just like soil or Coco
Never had an issue transplanting, actually pretty easy to knock off Perlite, stretch root lower in new bucket, then fill with Perlite

Back
Top Bottom