FL: 7 Duval County Doctors Approved To Recommend Medical Marijuana To Patients

Robert Celt

Seven Duval County doctors will be able to recommend medical marijuana for qualified patients.

The low-THC cannabis applies to people on the compassionate use registry, which includes people with cancer, epilepsy and other conditions with chronic seizures.

Terminally ill patients with a year or less to live will also be able to use the marijuana as part of a new law.

"I definitely would say it's life-changing," epilepsy patient Chris Moses said.

Moses was diagnosed with epilepsy nine years ago.

She has been seizure-free for the last few years thanks to medication, but she said the side effects from that treatment have been tough.

"I have severe nausea with it," Moses said. "I have dizziness and I am the most forgetful person you will ever meet."

Moses said the low-THC cannabis could be a better option to prevent her seizures without those negative side effects.

Dr. Harold Laski is one of seven Duval County doctors who have gotten state approval to recommend the medical marijuana to qualified patients.

"These are non-psychoactive," Laski said. "You're not going to get high with this."

Laski said a patient must be seeing a qualified doctor for at least three months before being eligible for a recommendation for the marijuana.

The patients can then get the marijuana from one of the state approved nurseries.

Qualified patients must be permanent Florida residents.

Laski said it will be up to the doctor to determine how the patient uses the medicine.

"It could be like vapor," Laski said. "It could be inhaled. The main thing is you're going to have to buy the equipment as a patient."

Moses said the availability of the cannabis will make a major difference in the everyday lives of people with seizures.

"Some of the people cannot drive -- and just think about not having that mobility," Moses said. "It's going to affect you being able to get a job, to be a productive member of society."

medical-cannabis_1_2.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: FL: 7 Duval County Doctors Approved To Recommend Medical Marijuana To Patients
Author: Samantha Manning
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom