FL: Medical Pot Delivery Starts Friday In Winter Garden

Katelyn Baker

A 50-year-old nursery business in Winter Garden will begin delivery of locally grown medical marijuana on Friday, with plans to open its first dispensary soon in Ivanhoe Village.

Knox Nursery won the state's competition to be the medical pot grower and dispenser for the Central Florida region. Only nurseries with a track record of 30 years or more were eligible.

"Knox built entirely new facilities for this," said company spokesman Adam Sharon.

Delivery is set to begin Friday from the nursery at 940 Avalon Road in Winter Garden. So far, Knox is limited to non-euphoric marijuana largely for the treatment of certain seizures, not the broader medical marijuana that Florida voters approved in November.

Regulations for full-strength pot haven't yet been enacted by state officials. For both forms of marijuana, a doctor's prescription is required.

The company plans to open a dispensary early next year at 1829 N. Orange Ave., near the White Wolf Café just north of downtown. That location would only be for non-euphoric products.

"I don't really have any concerns. I hope it will be good for me," White Wolf owner Michael Hennessey said.

Knox's affiliate sought permitting for the site last year, prior to the city placing a moratorium on medical pot stores after receiving several permit requests for them. The city has extended the ban to July 2017.

A city planning official, Mark Cechman, wrote in a letter dated July 2015 that the Orange Avenue location had proper zoning for the facility, which he deemed to be like a drugstore. But he also said the company must pursue all other required permits.

"I will determine that this lot may be used to allow a medical marijuana dispensary, subject to compliance with all applicable state laws," Cechman wrote. "The applicant shall comply with all other applicable requirements of the Land Development Code, including any additional review requirements and shall receive all necessary permits before initiating development or opening your business."

Knox was founded by Bruce Knox, now chief operating officer, and Jose J. Hidalgo, its CEO. Hidalgo also founded Cansortium Holdings LLC while Knox started Knox Medical.

Hidaldo said in a news release the company is committed to "superior quality medicinal cannabis, and our mission is focused on putting the needs and interests of patients first."

The Knox nursery facility, under law, must also process and package the product on site. Some dispensing will be available to qualified patients at the nursery, which is across the street from Stoneybrook Golf Course and community.

Knox is also targeting Gainesville, Jacksonville, Lake Worth, and Tallahassee for dispensaries to open in early 2017. It plans to announce another list of new possible locations soon.

Knox's production of non-euphoric could give the nursery an advantage when state officials determine rules for growing full-strength pot. The amendment approved by voters in Novembers allows for medical pot to anyone with cancer, glaucoma, epilepsy, HIV/AIDS, post-traumatic stress disorder, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Crohn's disease, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis or other "debilitating medical conditions."

AleksLabuda.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical Pot Delivery Starts Friday In Winter Garden
Author: Paul Brinkmann
Photo Credit: Aleks Labuda

A 50-year-old nursery business in Winter Garden will begin delivery of locally grown medical marijuana on Friday, with plans to open its first dispensary soon in Ivanhoe Village.

Knox Nursery won the state's competition to be the medical pot grower and dispenser for the Central Florida region. Only nurseries with a track record of 30 years or more were eligible.

"Knox built entirely new facilities for this," said company spokesman Adam Sharon.

Delivery is set to begin Friday from the nursery at 940 Avalon Road in Winter Garden. So far, Knox is limited to non-euphoric marijuana largely for the treatment of certain seizures, not the broader medical marijuana that Florida voters approved in November.

Regulations for full-strength pot haven't yet been enacted by state officials. For both forms of marijuana, a doctor's prescription is required.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought, due to the DEA's refusal to remove cannabis from Schedule 1,they PRECLUDE ANY DOCTOR from writing a prescription for cannabis and/or it's derivatives. They can RECOMMEND it all day, but I have yet to hear them say anything about not ruining a doctors reputation and destroy his practice, by pulling his license, and removing his career from him. Am I wrong on this? Anybody?

Back
Top Bottom