From The Archives: Medical Marijuana Patient Fired, Now Suing

Truth Seeker

On the steps of the Calhoun County Justice Center, Joseph Casias said Tuesday it was unfair of his former Battle Creek employer to fire him for legally using marijuana to treat his chronic pain.

On Casias' behalf, state and national branches of the American Civil Liberties Union along with St. Joseph attorney Daniel Grow filed a lawsuit Tuesday morning in Calhoun County Circuit Court against Wal-Mart Stores Inc. alleging his wrongful termination in November.

Casias, 30, had undergone a routine drug screening after spraining his knee on the job. He was not under the influence of marijuana at the time, according to the lawsuit, but the urine screen later revealed the Calhoun County man had used marijuana sometime in the previous days or weeks.

He then told his employers he was registered in Michigan to use marijuana for chronic pain caused by an inoperable brain tumor and previous sinus cancer treatments, ACLU spokeswoman Rana Elmir said. At first his bosses told him that was fine, but shortly thereafter terminated his employment.

"I feel like I'm being treated like a felon," Casias said.

Wal-Mart called it an unfortunate situation but one that impacts its customer and associates' safety. The Bentonville, Arkansas-based company issued a statement on the lawsuit Tuesday.

"As more states allow this treatment, employers are left without any guidelines except the federal standard," the company wrote. "In these cases, until further guidance is available, we will always default to what we believe is the safest environment for our associates and customers."

Casias and his attorneys argue Wal-Mart does not have the authority to overstep Michigan law. The law allows patients with certain chronic conditions to become registered with the state to grow, possess and use marijuana or designate a caregiver to help grow the medicinal plant.

"Wal-Mart is a very large corporation, but it is not above the law," ACLU of Michigan staff attorney Daniel Korobkin said.

The law does not protect workers who use the drug while on the job, but Casias and his attorney said he only used it at home after work. Casias said prescription painkillers made him nauseous, but marijuana relaxed him without uncomfortable side effects so that he had energy to work hard the next day.

"I get up the next morning, I don't feel so bad," he said.

Casias had worked at Battle Creek's Wal-Mart for five years and during that time was promoted to inventory stock manager. Out of 400 store employees, he was one of two people named Associate of the Year in 2008, according to his attorneys.

"I feel it is unfair to me and my family," he said.

The husband of 10 years and father of two said he is seeking financial compensation from Wal-Mart and would like to have his job back, but doubts that is possible now. He said he is looking for a job while receiving unemployment benefits, but has no other income. Wal-Mart dropped initial opposition to his claim for unemployment benefits.

Casias is a sinus cancer survivor who receives checkups every six months that cost about $5,000 each out of pocket. He lost his health insurance when he was fired and is concerned about paying for his continued care.

"I just wish it didn't have to be this way," Casias said.

MMJ4.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: battlecreekenquirer.com
Author: Elizabeth Willis

Back
Top Bottom