Gary Man Completes Walk To Indianapolis To Promote Medical Marijuana

Katelyn Baker

James Nowacki, an outspoken government critic from Gary who has spent the past six days making a 160-mile walk to the Indiana Statehouse, completed his trip Friday, arriving in midmorning at the Statehouse in Indianapolis.

Nowacki, who has said he wants to spend the next few days lobbying the General Assembly to support legal marijuana use for medical purposes, said he hopes to speak out on behalf of a bill on that issue being sponsored by state Sen. Karen Tallian, D-Portage.

Tallian confirmed Nowacki's arrival Friday, which came following a walk that began Sunday morning from his home in downtown Gary.

"Nowacki completed his trek to the Statehouse earlier today," Tallian said. "His efforts have drawn attention to the need for expanded prescription options in our state for sick and injured Hoosiers.

"I applaud his determination and commitment in working to change public policy in this state."

The Post-Tribune was unable Friday to reach Nowacki via telephone. However, Nowacki has been posting updates on a blog that is supported by the Gary-based Brunswick Garden Club, run by a Nowacki friend, Ebony Tillman.

On Friday, Nowacki posted that he had walked some 300,000 steps and endured rain, sleet, snow, wind and subzero temperatures during his walk.

The first day of his walk was a 50-mile sojourn that got him to Rensselaer. He also passed through Monticello and Frankfort during his walk. "Several Hoosiers cheered me along my route and send me messages through my Facebook page," Nowacki wrote.

Nowacki, 62, is a Chicago native who has lived the past decade in Gary. Although he said he does not use marijuana, he said he believes people have a right to use it if they have prescriptions, which is permitted in several surrounding states, including Illinois.

"I spoke with many who appreciate my efforts because they use cannabis for their cancer-related treatment and oftentimes have to use illegal methods to obtain it," he wrote.

In his blog, Nowacki said he plans to begin walking annually to Indianapolis for the beginning of the legislative session to talk up issues of concern to him.

This year, it will be Tallian's bill, which is not the first time she has tried addressing this issue.

"For several years I have attempted to enact legislation that creates a pathway for medicinal marijuana in our state," she said. "I have not had success in previous years, but I will not give up until our sick and injured have more options for treatment that are not as harsh or addicting as current treatments.

"I appreciate the contribution from Mr. Nowacki and the media attention he has garnered with his journey."

KarenTallian.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Gary Man Completes Walk To Indianapolis To Promote Medical Marijuana
Author: Gregory Tejeda
Photo Credit: Karen Tallian

Back
Top Bottom