Ghost OG Kush - Heirloom strain of legend

Big Sur

OK, so pardon me if I am talking out of my a$$ here, but... I picked up a clone of Ghost at a local MMJ shop for $10 on sale and I have it growing under the lights for the winter here. Actually, today it is in my make-shift greenhouse now that the sun is out today. It is all of one foot tall and only has a few clusters of small leaves, but it already COMPLETELY REEKS!!!! of indica. It is also a very purple strain with purple stems and purple tones to the leaves.

Anyway, looking around the web, chatting about it here on this forum, and talking with people around town about this strain, I have gotten gobs of conflicting information. The strain guides say that it is anywhere from 25-75% to 50-50%, to 75-25% indica-sativa. To me this strain literally reeks of indica, and also has fat leaves. I do not know the growth or flowering aspects of it yet, so I cannot say for sure, but so far I would say that it is heavily indica dominant.

As for the history of this strain? Many tales abound about that, as well as what OG stands for. I will start with OG. I believe after reading and talking about it, that OG stands for OverGrow.com, then known as OG.com, the now defunct web site where several breeders in South Florida originally communicated. This strain was originally crossed by one online member (OrgnKid) and he gave another member (Ghost) a cut of the original mother plant. Hence the name, Ghost, the strain of legend. Those events reportedly took place in the early 1990s. Eventually that strain made its way to SoCal and MMJ breeders/growers, and particularly Scott of Rare Dankness Seeds . Many in SoCal think that OG stands for Ocean Grown. Others say that OG was derived from the song, "Original Ganstah." Whatever the original inspiration for OG, there are tons of OG strains and strain names with OG in them now.

As for which plant was the mother is up for great debate as well, along with the original cross parental genetics. The information again is all over the map, depending on where you look inline or who you talk to. I wish Ghost or OrgnKid were here to tell us? I have seen the mother OG strain commonly listed as Ghost or Ghost OG, Ghost OG kush, or OG Kush. Other growers from South Florida claim that the real mother OG plant was called Triangle Kush, for the MJ growing triangle between Miami, Jacksonville and Tampa. I have also read that OG kush was a self-pollinated seedling and/or a cutting of Ghost OG and vice-verse. I have also seen this strain as being a direct cutting from the strain Chemdawg.

The parents of this mythical Ghost OG Kush is also debated. Most seem to believe that the parents of the mother of all OG plants were Lemon Thai (sativa) and Chemdawg (indica). Seedfinder lists it as derived from Chemdawg x {Lemon Thai x Hindu Kush, Pakistan}. I would have to think that the later is more likely, as in order to get fat leaves (a recessive trait), the mother clone would have had to have been a cross between an indica and an indica-sativa cross. As such it would be 75%-25% indica-sativa. But then I am just looking at the plant that I have and a heap of "information" and tall tales that I have heard about it. I really do not know what the cross was or where they came from, or how this plant grows yet.

I will update you on how it grows this spring. I am over-wintering it here for the time being under lights and sun when it is out, enough light-time to keep it green and from flowering. I will make cuttings in the early spring and grow it outside in several locations this spring/summer.

No pix. Too hard to post pix here, and then they belong to "them". I believe that my photos should belong to ME. There are also a billion and one Ghost OG Kush photos on the web already. They have a unique shiny leaf, which attain odd colors from purple to yellow. Do a Google search and a million Ghost OG Kush photos will pop up.

Well, an update on more names of this cut that I have found. It is amazing how many there are out there. Many names were given to it out of its wild popularity in SoCal. My Ghost cut is doing rather well, and I am cloning it to trade for some other strains.

The strain list (which I believe are all phenotypes the same genotype):

Triangle Kush
Tripple OG/XXX OG
Ghost
Ghost OG
Ghost OG Kush
OG Kush
Super OG Kush
SFV OG/San Fernando Valley
SFV OG Kush
Larry OG
Diablo
Raskal's OG
HA OG/Hell's Angles
Fire
Abusive
SAC #1,#2, & #3
Poison OG
Private Reserve OG
Purple OG Kush
Tahoe OG
Tahoe OG Kush
Lost Coast OG
True OG
Kosher Kush

And meaning of OG seems to have expanded as well as the cut migrated:

OverGrow/OverGrown (the site was Overgrow.com, not overgrown.com as reported by some)
Ocean Grown
Ocean Grove
Original Ganstah/Gangster
Original Genetics
Organically Grown

I guess I will have to add:

Oregon Grown!

And the genetics... some believe it is just a cut of ChemDawg/Chem Dawg.

Most report that it is a cross between Chemdawg x {Lemon Thai x Hindu Kush, Pakistan}.

As for its origins... that is all over the map. Figuratively and literally. Some claim that it was from Florida and sent to SoCal. Some say it was from Wyoming/Colorado and came through Grass Valley/Lake Tahoe and through Salinas, just northeast of Big Sur. ???

Tale #1: As I stated above, the mother OG plant was called Triangle Kush grown in Florida, and shared through OverGrow.com. One member of OverGrow shared it with a guy in SoCal and it became legendary there and spread up the coast to Tahoe and the Lost Coast (and Oregon, where I got it).

Tale #2: A guy in Grass Valley, CA crossed ChemDawg with a male that was a cross of Lemon Thai and an Old World Pakistani Kush. That guy moved to New Zealand and he left his plants with a guy in Salinas, CA (and/or Downey, CA). The original cuts were shared, or the P1 plants were seeded, and the cuts or seeds were what became known as OG Kush in the San Fernando Valley (SFV).

Tale #3: That all these strains are just a cut of ChemDawg, a strain that originally came out of Colorado or Wyoming that made its way to Lake Tahoe in California and subsequently SoCal. Or that OG Kush is an S1 selfed seedling of ChemDawg.

Then there is the tale from the horse's mouth:

And an update on the Chemdog strain (AKA: Chemdawg, Chem Dawg, Chem Dog) here, to add to the legend of Ghost OG Kush.

Legend has it that two guys met at a Grateful Dead concert (where else!?) in 1991 at Deer Creek. One guy, a breeder named 'Chem' from the east coast obtained some great sinsemillia from another guy named Joe at that concert for a whopping $500 an oz. Chem later bought 2 more oz. of the same stuff. Of those later two ounces, one was seedless and the other one had 13 seeds in it. He planted four of those seeds, and one was male which was sadly tossed, and the other three females became the clones of legend: Chemdog (AKA: 91 Chemdog), Chemdog A (AKA: Chendog's Sister) and Chemdog B.

From there we fast forward to 2001, when Chem and his girlfriend germinated three more of the 13 seeds. The seeds were labeled C, D, and E. Supposedly E did not germinate at all and C was crap. D turned out to be OK. Then fast forward further to 2006 when Chem met up with Joe again and Chem gave him four of the remaining six seeds. Joe germinated the seeds, and only one was noteworthy, and it became known as the Reunion strain. Supposedly there are two of the thirteen original seeds left in Chem’s stash.

Or so the story goes...

Accordingly Chemdog seeds come from a mysterious strain called Dog Bud which is the strain of weed that was sold at the Grateful Dead concert. The seller said they took a pound of Dog Bud from Crested Butte, CO to the Dead show and sold it there by the oz. They said people loved the weed and that they sold out of it pretty fast. That seller said that the Dog Bud strain was a closely held cut that had drifted into Colorado and had originated from the Oregon/California border area). He also said that people in Crested Butte were not happy that they had taken any of that weed anywhere else.

Supposedly the Dog Bud strain in Colorado is extinct, at least the Colorado pheno. I would bet that it is still around in NorCal or Southern Oregon though.

Accordingly, 91 Chemdawg was confirmed by several people involved to be the same strain as Diesel and Sour Diesel, and NYC Diesel in the NYC area. The names were changed, but the weed remains the same.

Yes, lots of herbal legends out there.

Back
Top Bottom