Government Settles With Montana Medical Marijuana Provider

Truth Seeker

Montana medical marijuana provider Chris Williams has reached a settlement with prosecutors.

Under the terms of the post-conviction compromise, six of the charges against Williams will be dismissed, in exchange for Williams withdrawing his pending motions for acquittal and a new trial.

Until Tuesday's agreement, Williams faced a mandatory minimum sentence of 92 years in prison.

By agreeing not to appeal, the mandatory minimum penalties against Williams have been reduced to five years.

As part of the deal, the government also agreed to dismiss the criminal forfeiture against Montana Cannabis, the company Williams co-owned with three other men.

"It was not easy for me to give up my Constitutional fight, but as I navigate this complex federal penal system, it has become clear that punishment is the only thing that is guaranteed," said Williams in a phone call from the Missoula County Detention Facility.

Williams is one of only four cannabis caregivers to take his case all the way to trial, out of more than 70 indicted since President Obama took office.

A White House petition to pardon Williams has received over 27,000 signatures to date.

It is unknown whether Williams's sentencing hearing will still take place as scheduled on January 4, 2013.

Chris_Williams5.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: kbzk.com
Author: MTN News
Website: Government settles with Montana medical marijuana provider | KBZK.com | Z7 | Bozeman, Montana

Back
Top Bottom