Gradual photoperiod change and mimicking sunset/rise....

Zoot

Hello everyone. . Just had a thought about photoperiod in both the wild and the controlled environment we know as the grow room. We as growers do our best to copy natures own path as out door grown plants can be far superior to any indoor plant in both siz3 and yeild.
In the wild the transition between the seasons happens gradually with the light hours slowly decreasing until the plant is triggerd to flower. I imagine this to be the most unstressed way of going about the transition and thefore better for the plants health. Now my question is does the cold hard flip from 18/6 to 12/12 cause the plant stress and woulf creating a man made transition give better yeild, less stretch and more a more healthy plant. So setting somthing like this over 4 weeks.

Week 1 - 18/6
Week 2 - 16/8
Week 3 - 14/10
Week 4 - 12/12

With out any hard facts to back me up, my opinion (in thoery) is if you continuee to use a MH or blue spectrum lamp during the 4 week transition in theory the plant wouldn't stretch. The added UVB light insted of HPS IR during the change and a gradual change should produce a plant that grows as it did during vegative growth and in some strains especially the staiva breed this isnt such a bad thing as they can stretch out of control during the cold hard flip and light change. I also think that if what I predicted to be true thw grower would have more control and could infact reduce problems.

Iv not put this method into practice but wonderd if any one has or has any information on this?

Next in my line of thought is sunrise and sun set. Obviously in the wild the plant gets a gradual increase and decrease in the intensity of light. So my question here is would it make a diffrence to start my lights with x1 600 then 15 minutes the next 600 then 15 minutes later then next so there is a increase in lighting creating a sun rise and then do it in reverse at night to create a sun set.. would this have a more calming effect on the plants life? also there would be other factors here, like the room temperature would increase and decrease in stages like the wild causng less environmental stress. Or would doing this in practise add more stresses to the environment. .

Thought id share my thoughts on this. Opinions, pointers, answers, info and criticism all welcomed..

Zoot

Hello Zoot

I had many of the same thoughts that you have had. I even started a thread to see if I could find out anything from the members here. I didn't get much response... so I ran my own tests.

Light Intensity

At this point I am forced to admit that MJ loves light. The more light the better. The more intense the light, the better. I forgot to go back and update that thread - so thanks for the reminder. There is no comparison... once you actually do this.

In fact, I am now adding more light to my grow tents... If you want to mess with light... look into UVB as a booster during the final couple of weeks of flower... you will be pleased with the increase in potency.

Hello Zoot

I had many of the same thoughts that you have had. I even started a thread to see if I could find out anything from the members here. I didn't get much response... so I ran my own tests.

Light Intensity

At this point I am forced to admit that MJ loves light. The more light the better. The more intense the light, the better. I forgot to go back and update that thread - so thanks for the reminder. There is no comparison... once you actually do this.

In fact, I am now adding more light to my grow tents... If you want to mess with light... look into UVB as a booster during the final couple of weeks of flower... you will be pleased with the increase in potency.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I usually add some MH to the grow room during the last few weeks
Really helps.with weight and potency. The whole point.of this is just to copy nature that little bit more to see if it pays off.

I did, it didn't.

I use a dual bulb - has a 600W HPS and a 400W MH in one bulb.

The increase in resin and potency by adding a UVB light is better than using an MH.

And you are actually getting closer to what nature provides - you have about 10% UVB outdoors... and very close to zero indoors.

I did, it didn't.

I use a dual bulb - has a 600W HPS and a 400W MH in one bulb.

The increase in resin and potency by adding a UVB light is better than using an MH.

And you are actually getting closer to what nature provides - you have about 10% UVB outdoors... and very close to zero indoors.

Hey I was under the impression MH produced both UVA and UVB light?? Yeah iv seen those dual ARC lamps. Im not to sure about them. a normal duel spec 1k HPS puts out about 150,000 Lumens where as a dual arc puts out 80,000 HPS and 35,000 MH means lower lumen per watt and considering a dual spec gives out 25% blue in most cases and 75% red/orange they seem better than splitting a 115,000 60/40 but I agree with the concept though, iv used HPS and MH from start to finish on some grows and it really does give good results. im about to switch my x3 600 HPS over to MH's and add x 3 250w HPS's to really bump up the remaining 2 weeks of the grow.

zoot

Hey I was under the impression MH produced both UVA and UVB light??

Yes, it does. That is one of the reasons that these lights are more dangerous for human eyes. If you don't have a lens - you should be wearing glasses any time you are near them.

But from the research that I performed, the UVA and UVB are present only in small amounts, and the lens will knock what little you have down to (virtually) nothing.

Yeah iv seen those dual ARC lamps. Im not to sure about them. a normal duel spec 1k HPS puts out about 150,000 Lumens where as a dual arc puts out 80,000 HPS and 35,000 MH means lower lumen per watt and considering a dual spec gives out 25% blue in most cases and 75% red/orange they seem better than splitting a 115,000 60/40 but I agree with the concept though, iv used HPS and MH from start to finish on some grows and it really does give good results. im about to switch my x3 600 HPS over to MH's and add x 3 250w HPS's to really bump up the remaining 2 weeks of the grow.

At this point in my grow career, I believe that it is the correct MIXTURE of light - and not the absolute level of lumens - that matters most. UVB does not even register on a lumen scale... yet my experience tells me it is important. I have raised the levels in my tent to match those outdoors using special bulbs - and it makes a big difference.

But what you are pointing out is that I may be able to go back to a full HPS and just use the UVB light as a boost rather than the split MH/HPS bulb. As I pointed out - I now believe that the more light the better (keeping all other environmental factors the same). Hmmm... might just go and switch lamps tonight before "sunrise."

Those are actually the best ones to use. Comfortable and easy to adjust to :thumb:

Hey yeah iv got my misses sunbed shades for when im working under them. Also been told that MH can give you sun burn.. but think its an old wifes tale as iv never got it and iv been under MH's for upto 5 hours a time tending to crops.

Back
Top Bottom