Green algae in hydro water

jennysboy

I have a quick question....im doing hydro and have algae growing in my tank, will this hurt my plants? It tends to build up after about a week. Is there anything i can do to prevent it other than changing out the solution.

Thanks alot!

Yes that is bad, very bad, it will choke your plants. What you need to do is block all light from your reservoir. Cover the outside with aluminum tape or duct tape thick black plastic around your reservoir and get a lid on it as well if you don't already have one, just cut holes for your tubing. As long as light doesn't get in, the algae will stop growing in there. Good luck and keep growing. :biggrin:

I was just looking for the same info. I found this site that says algae is just "messy and unsightly" but won't hurt plants: Hydroponics - growing hydroponics marijuana
Then came here and found answers that say the opposite. I bleached everything before I started this new batch, and have done nothing different than I've done in the past. Why algae this time? My pots sit on slotted "shelves" above an open 4x4 reservoir. Now the tops of the trays are green, the water is green, and the tops of the grow medium is green. All plants seem okay except for one (which could be something else...don't know yet).
pH is good, nutrient levels are good, room temp is 75. Maybe too much humidity? Doesn't algae like high nitrogen?
So is this harmful or not? What should I do?

In addition to covering your res you could probably benefit from the introduction of "friendly" bacterium. I just started using a commercially available product (OregonismXL) containing such and so far (only two days tho') really good.
Strangely enough, when mixed for use, this product has a foul odor but after it's introduction into my/your system(s) you can barely smell it. My water has been crystal clear and my roots are a pearly white which is good since I had to handle the roots somewhat when transplanting from soil to hydro...

Algae will grow anywhere there is water, nutrients and light. No light = no algae. Common algae will not attack the plants directly. What they will do is eat nutes, bloom and change the PH, possibly clog roots/pumps and attract fungus nats.

Proper res maintenance means

1wt air pump per gallon
No light reaching water
Water temps around 68f
No organic material ever

Deviate from this and you invite root disease and gunk in your res.

Sterilizing agents such as sm-90 and dutch master zone will keep algae and most root disease away, but the best solution IMO is to use beneficial microbes.

If interested in beneficial microbes, which will keep the res clean and roots white, try my other post, how to breed bennies

This makes me wonder why there's a version of the EZ-Cloner made from clear plastic.

I'm using a blue 18 gallon Sterilite tub from Target for my home made cloner and have seen no algae, I change the water / nute mix once a week.

This makes me wonder why there's a version of the EZ-Cloner made from clear plastic.

I'm using a blue 18 gallon Sterilite tub from Target for my home made cloner and have seen no algae, I change the water / nute mix once a week.
There is a clear version to sit on the counter at a store to show you how it works inside.

#1 Prevent light from entering your reservoir and no issues will occur.

#2 if issues still persist then use a water treatment (H2O2, H2O2+silver, for a natural alternative cietecbio)

It’s for stores to show you how it works only.

Algae eats oxygen and nutrients. It keeps your plants from running at top end. It can kill them if it’s bad enough. H2O2 is what many people use or they use Hydroguard

Back
Top Bottom