Growing in a window

Oh dang! That didn't even cross my mind.

Probably because glass appears to be transparent.

Do you think it will grow faster with the increase sun?

IF light is currently your limiting factor, then yes, I do. And I would assume that it is, at this point.

We're getting a lot of storms from the hurricane so it's been overcast for about 2 days.

Stay safe!

I'm going to get a light tomorrow

I speak cannabis, so I'll translate for your plant... She says, "Thank you!" ;)

My plant is upstairs so there won't be anyone walking by lol if they do then they were peeping

Sadly, this does not matter, legally speaking. LEO cannot use "extraordinary" means of search without a warrant (IOW, they cannot place a ladder against the side of your house and climb it in order to peek into your second-story window) - but if anyone else does so, that is considered to be hunky dory. A thief broke into someone's house so he could rob it. He found a fresh corpse. He ran out, then called the police and reported it. His report was used as evidence in order for LEO to get a warrant. This led to a conviction - which was upheld through every appeal. The ironic (and most sad, IMHO) part of the entire thing is that the THIEF was never prosecuted. (I used to have a sign on my door that stated "Thieves: Come on in! (I haven't shot anyone all day.)")

I am on a tight budget, by surfing ebay for a week I was able to get my tent, lights and hydro set up for about AUD $300, thats about $225. I managed to get a Tent, timer plug, a (really poor quality) 300w LED and a CFL. I got a fantastic Viparspectra 300w LED that was used for a single grow. I also got a hydro set up with nutrients, clay balls, watering ring, timer plug and pots. It took a bit of patience and losing a few auctions, but I am happy with the set up. I will add to it as I get some more money.

$300AU is currently worth $240.78US (although it went down 3 cents in five minutes, lol). It appears that your country is doing something right - or that we're screwing the pooch again.

I've noticed that several people in the forum are happy with those panels. However, "300w" ViaSpectras are only 136-watt devices - and the company advertises a 2'x2' "core" coverage. I realize they only cost $79(US) new on Amazon - but a person can get the cheapest of cheap digital ballast 400-watt HID setups for around $119(US), and that is arguably (depending on strain choice) enough to produce a nice harvest across eight square feet or so, as opposed to four. And if one is lucky in one's search, that el cheapo HID will have an electronic ballast and be capable of running both HPS and MH bulbs (not at the same time, of course).

I'm not so much knocking the cheapie LED panels as I am stating that HID can still be a viable option (and, oft times, the better one). Yes, you'll get less gross heat production with that LED panel - but it's because it's only producing approximately 34% as much light. Presumably, a random LED grow light panel will have a more tailored spectrum... But it turns out that "quantity" has a "quality" of its own. IOW, a really bright light can be substantially more productive than one of significantly lesser brightness - even if the latter has a "better" spectrum. (Assuming both light sources are capable of growing cannabis in the first place, of course - you're not going to do well with mercury vapor lamps, lol, even if you have a couple thousand watts (unless the crop you're trying to grow... is tumors :rolleyes3 ).)

BtW, that seems like a good score in general on the equipment you got vs. the price you paid. Personally, I'd be "a bit" leery of purchasing a used LED grow panel (regardless of the brand/model). They do seem to be somewhat fragile (on average), and can be negatively affected by abuse, high humidity, sulfur burners (growers occasionally use them to fight pests), and the like - and who knows what any used item has had to endure, lol? But I should admit that my LED panel was (er... heavily ;) ) used by the person who sent it to me. Over a year later of 18 hour/day use and everything still seems to be functioning fine on it except for the 18" fluorescent supplemental UV tube in the middle of the thing (standard ReptiSun 10.0 bulb). I assume that it just needs a new bulb. So, yes, sometimes you can find used equipment that was taken care of. You just cannot guarantee this.

Here's a shot of my windowsill grow. I had to move them outside about a month ago when they got too big to keep indoors...
7f492c63061e30a23e15f23eff656760.jpg

I hope you either have an extremely long growing season or are located in Australia or other place where you're heading into Spring and Summer instead of Autumn and Winter. BtW, healthy-looking plants, and you've both filled your containers with soil (IOW, used all of them) and it appears that you've cut that soil with a healthy amount of perlite. :thumb:

Are you seeing any (green, photosynthesizing) algae growth in the bottle, due to its transparency? I'm told it's generally more of an annoyance than a show-stopper - unlike that brown slime crap. I've seen people spray paint their bottles black (and, occasionally, then paint them white to help prevent undue heat buildup in the root zone). I'm going with green bottles in hopes that it prevents the growth of photosynthesizing organisms without the need to paint/cover the bottles. We'll see, lol....

Probably because glass appears to be transparent.

IF light is currently your limiting factor, then yes, I do. And I would assume that it is, at this point.

Stay safe!

I speak cannabis, so I'll translate for your plant... She says, "Thank you!" ;)

Sadly, this does not matter, legally speaking. LEO cannot use "extraordinary" means of search without a warrant (IOW, they cannot place a ladder against the side of your house and climb it in order to peek into your second-story window) - but if anyone else does so, that is considered to be hunky dory. A thief broke into someone's house so he could rob it. He found a fresh corpse. He ran out, then called the police and reported it. His report was used as evidence in order for LEO to get a warrant. This led to a conviction - which was upheld through every appeal. The ironic (and most sad, IMHO) part of the entire thing is that the THIEF was never prosecuted. (I used to have a sign on my door that stated "Thieves: Come on in! (I haven't shot anyone all day.)")

$300AU is currently worth $240.78US (although it went down 3 cents in five minutes, lol). It appears that your country is doing something right - or that we're screwing the pooch again.

I've noticed that several people in the forum are happy with those panels. However, "300w" ViaSpectras are only 136-watt devices - and the company advertises a 2'x2' "core" coverage. I realize they only cost $79(US) new on Amazon - but a person can get the cheapest of cheap digital ballast 400-watt HID setups for around $119(US), and that is arguably (depending on strain choice) enough to produce a nice harvest across eight square feet or so, as opposed to four. And if one is lucky in one's search, that el cheapo HID will have an electronic ballast and be capable of running both HPS and MH bulbs (not at the same time, of course).

I'm not so much knocking the cheapie LED panels as I am stating that HID can still be a viable option (and, oft times, the better one). Yes, you'll get less gross heat production with that LED panel - but it's because it's only producing approximately 34% as much light. Presumably, a random LED grow light panel will have a more tailored spectrum... But it turns out that "quantity" has a "quality" of its own. IOW, a really bright light can be substantially more productive than one of significantly lesser brightness - even if the latter has a "better" spectrum. (Assuming both light sources are capable of growing cannabis in the first place, of course - you're not going to do well with mercury vapor lamps, lol, even if you have a couple thousand watts (unless the crop you're trying to grow... is tumors :rolleyes3 ).)

BtW, that seems like a good score in general on the equipment you got vs. the price you paid. Personally, I'd be "a bit" leery of purchasing a used LED grow panel (regardless of the brand/model). They do seem to be somewhat fragile (on average), and can be negatively affected by abuse, high humidity, sulfur burners (growers occasionally use them to fight pests), and the like - and who knows what any used item has had to endure, lol? But I should admit that my LED panel was (er... heavily ;) ) used by the person who sent it to me. Over a year later of 18 hour/day use and everything still seems to be functioning fine on it except for the 18" fluorescent supplemental UV tube in the middle of the thing (standard ReptiSun 10.0 bulb). I assume that it just needs a new bulb. So, yes, sometimes you can find used equipment that was taken care of. You just cannot guarantee this.

I hope you either have an extremely long growing season or are located in Australia or other place where you're heading into Spring and Summer instead of Autumn and Winter. BtW, healthy-looking plants, and you've both filled your containers with soil (IOW, used all of them) and it appears that you've cut that soil with a healthy amount of perlite. :thumb:

Are you seeing any (green, photosynthesizing) algae growth in the bottle, due to its transparency? I'm told it's generally more of an annoyance than a show-stopper - unlike that brown slime crap. I've seen people spray paint their bottles black (and, occasionally, then paint them white to help prevent undue heat buildup in the root zone). I'm going with green bottles in hopes that it prevents the growth of photosynthesizing organisms without the need to paint/cover the bottles. We'll see, lol....
That was in the heart of winter. I'm in South Africa, so at the time they were still getting 6 to 8 hours of sunlight. The plastic bottle was found in the back yard & already had some green algae. I didn't bother to clean it properly. Lol.

I just used what I could find at the time. Here's a pic of how they looked this past weekend.
4ae9b8ec6fb59a12d5521f4c07537ace.jpg

420-magazine-mobile56330519.jpg

Here's my girl Martha.

She's been growing slowly.

Even if I only get a tiny bud off this, I'll be happy .

I need to add more soil and get the seaweed fertilizer today .

Definitely reaching for the light.

If it's still stretching (producing obvious vertical growth), then it's possible that it'll be able to produce more in the way of buds than what you see now. Otherwise, you should still see some "bulking up" of what's already there, because it's far from harvest still.

I hope you get enough to enjoy, at least for a little while. Because there's a special flavor in home-grown. It's called "I made this."

Definitely reaching for the light.

If it's still stretching (producing obvious vertical growth), then it's possible that it'll be able to produce more in the way of buds than what you see now. Otherwise, you should still see some "bulking up" of what's already there, because it's far from harvest still.

I hope you get enough to enjoy, at least for a little while. Because there's a special flavor in home-grown. It's called "I made this."

I got desperate today and cut two mini buds off. I put it in the car on the dash for an hour and smoked myself some Martha lol omg it was GREAT!

Wooohooo for Martha ! How good is it to know that is something you have nurtured from a seed to medication ! I grow a lot of my own food and the taste of seems so much better than shop bought, plus its the fruits of your own hand. I especially love my own Chillies. I cross pollinated a few plants years back and have my own pepper ! Its hot as a Habenero, but long and very resistant to heat. I keep seeds and every year grow them. They sometimes grow different, but its great fun to play with them !! Well done, thats a fantastic result. Well pleased for you.

I got desperate today and cut two mini buds off. I put it in the car on the dash for an hour and smoked myself some Martha lol omg it was GREAT!

Well, I'm happy to have learned that you have already benefited from growing your own.

But you know what they say, lol, take a gram now and lose ten grams at harvest time.

420-magazine-mobile499340388.jpg

I cut Martha and hung her. There wasn't much left of her because the cat ate most. But for a first experience of growing I still consider it success! I have learned and have enjoyed the experience. Only thing left to do is wait a week and put her in a jar. Then wait another week .

looking great. be careful for powdery mildew. lack of circulating air can aid the mildew.

-oops didnt see the last post

Back
Top Bottom