Harvesting based on pistils and look of the plant?

jokerlola

I am following the advice of Intheshed of harvesting my outdoor plants by when they stop drinking, but is there any accuracy in going by the pistils and the look of the plant? My plants in question are a strain called Phoenix Fire from Solfire seeds. They were grown from regular photo seeds outdoors. They have been turning purple and the pistils have almost all turned brown and curled inward towards the buds. The trichomes look almost all cloudy with no real sign of ambers except on some sugar leaves. As of yesterday, they were still drinking the pots dry every 2 days. They did slow down a little because of the outdoor temps.

203B6293-97FD-4FCC-9C7D-4129089142B7.jpeg

E64BBC6B-AB38-4F64-9562-2F95E3A6F5A6.jpeg

44A8876F-BA3C-4E71-94EC-54EBF1FBFDA5.jpeg

20CC76F1-4CDE-4D3D-8EA3-BEE2A1B97949.jpeg

821B0F00-F17F-42A9-B2A1-85031C90CD45.jpeg

5DCA4021-C57E-4CE9-AC41-4A58745DDD43.jpeg

F01C1B91-966A-4618-A04F-604A9D851934.jpeg

4EC2B99A-B903-4260-8934-E76D4907FD65.jpeg

75CE9A1C-61E0-45C3-B0F6-0D506BBF3626.jpeg

2-3 weeks if weather allows—at least. The pistils should die back more and the calyxes have some swelling to do, they should all stick out all swollen and have a popped popcorn appearance.
I hope you don’t mind me jumping in here but was wondering if you could tell me why my buds in jars were smelling great and now they smell like wet grass clippings?

2-3 weeks if weather allows—at least. The pistils should die back more and the calyxes have some swelling to do, they should all stick out all swollen and have a popped popcorn appearance.
Yeah, I’m figuring about that and they are still drinking pretty heavily. I just hope the weather holds. So far things look good for the next 10 days but I hate the game I wind up playing every fall of bringing plants inside for cold days or nights.

I hope you don’t mind me jumping in here but was wondering if you could tell me why my buds in jars were smelling great and now they smell like wet grass clippings?
rode hard and put away wet

My opinion is they were Jared too wet. Calibrate or buy new hygrometers. This nonsense all over the internet to jar @ 65–70rh and burp for xxweeks is causing problems. Hang in the dark at 60rh/60f for two weeks minimum. Get down to 58–60rh and jar em up. No burping needed.

Yeah, I’m figuring about that and they are still drinking pretty heavily. I just hope the weather holds. So far things look good for the next 10 days but I hate the game I wind up playing every fall of bringing plants inside for cold days or nights.
I hear ya! I have no option of bringing anything “in”. Next year I may do pots!
I got all mine hanging in the shed finally. 3 humidifiers an exhaust fan set to come on for 15 min every hour and a roll around A/C and a indirect fan.

My opinion is they were Jared too wet. Calibrate or buy new hygrometers. This nonsense all over the internet to jar @ 65–70rh and burp for xxweeks is causing problems. Hang in the dark at 60rh/60f for two weeks minimum. Get down to 58–60rh and jar em up. No burping needed.
I did hang them for 7-10 and then put in Turkey bag for the same. They felt dry and smaller stems snapped. Idk?

Going along with your mention of 2-3 weeks.

I look for the signs you mention and I also look at how mature the tricomes appear. When getting close to the end the cloudy look is very noticeable without needing a loupe or magnifying glass. The tricomes will just swell up and the mushroom head becomes very noticeable without any optics needed.

I hear ya! I have no option of bringing anything “in”. Next year I may do pots!
I got all mine hanging in the shed finally. 3 humidifiers an exhaust fan set to come on for 15 min every hour and a roll around A/C and a indirect

Going along with your mention of 2-3 weeks.

I look for the signs you mention and I also look at how mature the tricomes appear. When getting close to the end the cloudy look is very noticeable without needing a loupe or magnifying glass. The tricomes will just swell up and the mushroom head becomes very noticeable without any optics needed.

That is interesting info! I hang dry my plants in an unfinished basement that has the windows blacked out. I'm in Denver but I really don't know what the RH is in my basement. I dry until the small stems snap but that usually happens before 2 weeks. Usually a week to 10 days. I've had buds that continued to smell strong after jaring and burping but also some that faded to cut grass smell. My house has hot water, radiant heat but it's no quite cold enough for the furnace to be on but it might be when harvest time comes in a week or 2. Can I get away with the 2 week hang dry or does it need to be 60% RH?

I did hang them for 7-10 and then put in Turkey bag for the same. They felt dry and smaller stems snapped. Idk?
Did you wet trim and bud wash with lemon juice and bkg soda? I tried this an d I think the lemon juice wash does something to the terpenes and makes them smell like hay. I’ve also heard this can happen off you harvest too early but not sure.seeing lots of post where peoples weed is smelling like hay after bud wash with lemon and bkg soda. This year I remain plans will be blood washed with plain water what trimmed and hung.

That is interesting info! I hang dry my plants in an unfinished basement that has the windows blacked out. I'm in Denver but I really don't know what the RH is in my basement. I dry until the small stems snap but that usually happens before 2 weeks. Usually a week to 10 days. I've had buds that continued to smell strong after jaring and burping but also some that faded to cut grass smell. My house has hot water, radiant heat but it's no quite cold enough for the furnace to be on but it might be when harvest time comes in a week or 2. Can I get away with the 2 week hang dry or does it need to be 60% RH?
I believe it’s 50 to 60 rh is best. That way it will not try too fast… or too slow which can cause mold

Did you wet trim and bud wash with lemon juice and bkg soda? I tried this an d I think the lemon juice wash does something to the terpenes and makes them smell like hay. I’ve also heard this can happen off you harvest too early but not sure.seeing lots of post where peoples weed is smelling like hay after bud wash with lemon and bkg soda. This year I remain plans will be blood washed with plain water what trimmed and hung.
Yeah I washed with citric acid +water + rinsed with water.

But it’s the reaction of the citrus and baking soda that cleans the buds. Would straight water clean as well?

It’s my personal opinion that the buds do not need to be cleaned with chemicals unless you use pesticides on your plants I do not use them. the only thing I’ve ever put on my plants is BT and that rinses off with water

You consider baking soda a chemical?
Baking soda and lemon juice are powerful. Arm and hammer bkgs
It’s my personal opinion that the buds do not need to be cleaned with chemicals unless you use pesticides on your plants I do not use them. the only thing I’ve ever put on my plants is BT and that rinses off with water
Sodium by carbonate and lemon juice a very strong, Chemical is probably not the right word so I apologize for the confusion no I do not think they’re chemicals but I do think they’re very strong cleaning agents. Oh then do you use pesticides on your plants?

Back
Top Bottom