Harvesting based on pistils and look of the plant?

Baking soda and lemon juice are powerful. Arm and hammer bkgs

Sodium by carbonate and lemon juice a very strong, Chemical is probably not the right word so I apologize for the confusion no I do not think they’re chemicals but I do think they’re very strong cleaning agents. Oh then do you use pesticides on your plants?
No, organic only. We get enuff chemicals in our food.Smh

I am following the advice of Intheshed of harvesting my outdoor plants by when they stop drinking, but is there any accuracy in going by the pistils and the look of the plant? My plants in question are a strain called Phoenix Fire from Solfire seeds. They were grown from regular photo seeds outdoors. They have been turning purple and the pistils have almost all turned brown and curled inward towards the buds. The trichomes look almost all cloudy with no real sign of ambers except on some sugar leaves. As of yesterday, they were still drinking the pots dry every 2 days. They did slow down a little because of the outdoor temps.

203B6293-97FD-4FCC-9C7D-4129089142B7.jpeg

E64BBC6B-AB38-4F64-9562-2F95E3A6F5A6.jpeg

44A8876F-BA3C-4E71-94EC-54EBF1FBFDA5.jpeg

20CC76F1-4CDE-4D3D-8EA3-BEE2A1B97949.jpeg

821B0F00-F17F-42A9-B2A1-85031C90CD45.jpeg

5DCA4021-C57E-4CE9-AC41-4A58745DDD43.jpeg

F01C1B91-966A-4618-A04F-604A9D851934.jpeg

4EC2B99A-B903-4260-8934-E76D4907FD65.jpeg

75CE9A1C-61E0-45C3-B0F6-0D506BBF3626.jpeg
Get a loupe and go by the trichomes. Should be few clear, mostly cloudy, and few amber. Your target is mostly cloudy. Too much amber is not good as the THC is beginning to degrade to CBN.

Get a loupe and go by the trichomes. Should be few clear, mostly cloudy, and few amber. Your target is mostly cloudy. Too much amber is not good as the THC is beginning to degrade to CBN.
I have a usb scope. My plants are showing mostly cloudy with many still clear but hardly any amber yet.

I am following the advice of Intheshed of harvesting my outdoor plants by when they stop drinking, but is there any accuracy in going by the pistils and the look of the plant? My plants in question are a strain called Phoenix Fire from Solfire seeds. They were grown from regular photo seeds outdoors. They have been turning purple and the pistils have almost all turned brown and curled inward towards the buds. The trichomes look almost all cloudy with no real sign of ambers except on some sugar leaves. As of yesterday, they were still drinking the pots dry every 2 days. They did slow down a little because of the outdoor temps.
I have highlighted the most important words here... almost. As long as you still have any white pistils, flowering is still going on, and that means you should continue to wait. Amber will start coming in when it is time. Being patient and waiting for this is one of the hardest things in growing great pot. Shed is right, and when the plant is done, she will stop drinking. Oftentimes, 2%-5% amber is showing up right there at the same time.

I have highlighted the most important words here... almost. As long as you still have any white pistils, flowering is still going on, and that means you should continue to wait. Amber will start coming in when it is time. Being patient and waiting for this is one of the hardest things in growing great pot. Shed is right, and when the plant is done, she will stop drinking. Oftentimes, 2%-5% amber is showing up right there at the same time.
Don't go by the pistils. Go by the trichomes. It is the most accurate method other than testing for THCA, which most people can not do or afford. The method used requires expensive equipment and the off-the-shelf test kits are not accurate at all. I am a retired chemist and I cannot even run these tests because of the equipment.
When assessing the trichomes, you want the highest percentage of cloud triches with the smallest number of clear and amber. The triches turn cloudy because THCA starts to reach it's solubility limit in the mix of cannabinoids and terpenes. Upon heating (smoking or vaping), THCA produces THC, the active component. If THCA is not heated, it will have no psychoactive affects, which is why you won't get high if you eat raw cannabis.
When THCA starts to degrade in the trichomes on the cannabis plant, it turns amber in color and forms the degradation product called CBN. CBN does not have nearly the same effect or potency as THC.
So, the best method for most growers is to use a jeweler's loupe (30-60x) and assess the stat of the trichomes.

Thanks for the info.🙏

Don't go by the pistils. Go by the trichomes. It is the most accurate method other than testing for THCA, which most people can not do or afford. The method used requires expensive equipment and the off-the-shelf test kits are not accurate at all. I am a retired chemist and I cannot even run these tests because of the equipment.
When assessing the trichomes, you want the highest percentage of cloud triches with the smallest number of clear and amber. The triches turn cloudy because THCA starts to reach it's solubility limit in the mix of cannabinoids and terpenes. Upon heating (smoking or vaping), THCA produces THC, the active component. If THCA is not heated, it will have no psychoactive affects, which is why you won't get high if you eat raw cannabis.
When THCA starts to degrade in the trichomes on the cannabis plant, it turns amber in color and forms the degradation product called CBN. CBN does not have nearly the same effect or potency as THC.
So, the best method for most growers is to use a jeweler's loupe (30-60x) and assess the stat of the trichomes.
I once found a trich I really liked...his name was Mr. Cloudy..I kept a eye on Mr. Cloudy after harvest but he changed..he wasn't the same Mr. Cloudy I had grown to love..he had turned into Mr. Amber...I think he was mad I killed his mother.

I once found a trich I really liked...his name was Mr. Cloudy..I kept a eye on Mr. Cloudy after harvest but he changed..he wasn't the same Mr. Cloudy I had grown to love..he had turned into Mr. Amber...I think he was mad I killed his mother.
That’s a good one I gotta remember that.🤣 CL🍀

I have a usb scope. My plants are showing mostly cloudy with many still clear but hardly any amber yet.
Keep watching it daily. Harvest when there is no more than 10% amber trichomes. Some clear is ok. Too much clear will can present a paranoid effect. Too much amber and the high will be subdued and obtain more of a sleepy effect.

So I was able to get the camera on my USB scope to work (It most of the time doesn't) and these are some of the trichome pictures from today on one of my Phoenix Fire plants. It looks like there's the start of some ambers but barely and seems to be a lot of clear still.

It's not a very good USB microscope and seems to now have a short in the wire which makes it not work most of the time unless the wire is just right.

S20221011_001.jpg

S20221011_002.jpg

S20221011_003.jpg

S20221011_004.jpg

Back
Top Bottom