Hey Buddy, Got A Spare Led Lightbulb You Can Spare? Or Dumb Ass Build.

Printer

420 Member
Yeah I know, kind of silly but I did it anyway for the heck of it. There were a box of 5000K bulbs, $4 for four at the Dollar store. Picked up a bunch and wanted to find out how good/bad they were. I didn't want to put them in socket because that would be $2.50 a bulb, defeats the purpose of a cheap build. I saw people hack them apart, thought "I am good at that." And so it began.

Just wanted some Veg lights in a hurry, need them for a grow and China is a few months away. I had some industrial aluminum curtain rails so I thought I would use them as a heat sink.

V7Qy2yN.jpg

Along the way decided I want more light, went to get more bulbs and they didn't have any more. Went to another store, had a different bulb, bought a bunch. Found out they were quite different, but I will manage. The second ones have exposed line voltage, need to insulate them with a dab of silicone. Not the bathtub stuff, I think that eats at the conductors over time, I had some electrical rated stuff.

vKAFFv5.jpg

Was more work than expected. But I have been known to be a sucker for punishment. Once ready I will tape the aluminum closed.

PbxeCgW.jpg

Going to blow air through them to keep them cooler. It will help with the efficiency some, so more light output than what the bulb is rated for, not that it will be a drastic difference. Made a manifold for both ends. The air is blown from outside the space and leaves diretly to the outside also.

A3PbmTD.jpg

The original bulb drew an extra watt, think the one was 8.5W and the other 9.5W or there about.

xAD7Din.jpg

And once installed. I did wire it so I could turn off the outside two rails and the center rail had every second one on a separate line so I can turn it down to about 40W from 200W. I want the lower power to keep some mothers alive but not outgrow the place.

vWPoeIR.jpg

Measured the current for each of the modules, with the wall voltage at 118V the one bulb taking 0.52A with the hot one at 0.67A. 61W and 79W, so the individual bulb at 6.8W and 8.8W. The dimmer bulb taking 6.8W says that it draws 9W, which I read they usually draw less than indicated. The hotter bulb draws 30% more than the lower one, feels like it with the temperature of the rails. For what I want these for the lower wattage bulb might have been the better option.

Back
Top Bottom