Home depot buying soil, lights etc. Help

thelove16

Help i need to find out soon how good of quality i can get at home depot, lowes, or ace hareware. I dont have access to any grow stores in my area so i need to know the best soil, lights, nuts etc. i can get
Could you plz help... recommend soil thats worked for you..:thanks: :thanks: in advance
First post

As far as nutrients go if you would at all be interested in fox farm, you can check on their website FoxFarm Soil & Fertilizer Company the only reason I'm suggesting this is because I live in a very small town and didnt think I would be able to purchase any decent nutes without having to order some online, however I went on their website and sure enough my local lumberyard carried it... I thought it was kind of strange lol. but hey im not complaining.

Oh also blue planet nutrients is having a special going on right now for 420 mag. members only I believe. Although I've never used them I have yet to hear anything bad coming from them, and their prices are very reasonable. I cant remember exactly what it was, but there a sponsor on here you could do a search for them and im sure they'll pop right up.

Sorry I wasnt of more help to your exact question these are all things I've recently found and so I thought I might be able to help someone out with their nutrient questions. Good luck with it all and happy smokin.

Kellogs from Home Depot is working for me so far. I did find some Fox Farms after I started at the local grow shop. not bad at about 12 bux a bag.

All you need is a prepaid credit card to buy from one of our Sponsors : 420 MAGAZINE

Show some love to these guys b4 HD...k?

Now, HD and Lowes does have some good side lighting.

Under cabinet florescent's work great for side lighting and I found some 12" long tube style plant grow floro's at HD one time, in the same place you find those under cabinet lights, for around $12 each and I just loved them for clones as well as side lighting...they even looked cool, with a purple hue that you could tell was derived from both a blue and red spectrum so, I would recommend these to anyone, but I'd get everything else from the pros via a credit card or money order...cool?

Start out strong and you'll be rewarded in the end :peace:

Home depot carries pro mix excellent dirt

Really...For indoor?? All of their mixes have sat out in the sun for extended periods of time at some point...either on the way to the store from the actual depot or at the store.

I'd go with ordering real mix we all use for indoor growing so you're not getting extra crap or pests inside. Use one of the sponsors here. With out sponsors there would be no board!

im using kellog, i mixed it with perilite, i got 2 cfl's 65k from lowes,...i made my own box out of some Styrofoam cardboard stuff...im using floranova and my plants are doing better...

Daze-
"fungus gnats" can be a real problem. While they are supposed to only eat fungi (why they are called "fungus gnats") they in fact can and do eat MJ roots - they actually burrow inside and chow down. I lost a crop to them years back when growing in rockwool. They can be controlled by a number of methods- the search feature is your friend.

Just so you all know..I've worked for HD for 10yrs and know how long those soils sit around and where they go here and there...I also tried these promixes and have gotten stupid gnats everytime...these local soils are NOT A GREAT Choice...just search for my gnats threads on this site....do it as a kinda buggies heads up....you'll get em....I would also support the sponsors if you can't find some better soils.... Word my man

Home depot carries pro mix excellent dirt

x2 on the promix or sunshine#4 I live on the west side of Canada and these soil are norm here, for indoor and outdoor. Its actually soil-less and with the wright additives its great stuff and cheap, at 25$ a bale.

I've gone threw six bales and have three on standby, yet to find any bugs.
I suggest picking up some sea soil to add to the promix, HD also has some bone meal plus that the plants like a lot. Those are some of the additives i add along with lime,epsom salts,blood meal,kelp meal and some organic compost.

I just wrote this for someone else today but I figured it would apply here too so...

I had the same problem with lights and stuff too so I finally went to HD and Lowes and looked at everything they had that might just work, here is what I found, (remember that some stores carry things that others may not)

I found high pressure sodium security lights like the ones you mount on a pole or building, they also have MH in these as well. Mine were 150w and I found some 250w bulbs at HD later on to replace them with, I had 2 of these mounted in a home made aluminum reflector, but I wouldn't go that rout again because a large HPS plant grow light cost less or around the same as I paid but I was new and didn't know better, but they still worked. These sec. lights come in Floro's too. I think (if memory serves me right?) I paid like $75-$80 each for these HPS sec. lights? but like I said, actual HPS grow lights are fairly reasonable so...

I also found, in the "under cabinet lighting" section at HD, some 24" long florescent, actual grow light's that seemed to have both red and blue spectrum's because they had a purple color when lit up...very cool but I can't remember the lumins on these, I had 4 of these and clones just loved them to death, for real! Seedlings too! I saved the best part of these for last, they were only $12 a piece! what a friggen score that was!!!

And, I found the absolute coolest meter for the low, low at HD that had 3 meters in 1 unit, it had a lumin meter, a soil moister meter and a PH meter all in one pkg. what a score this thing was too because I could hold it at the top of my canopy and see where the light was strongest and where it was not. Can't really remember price on this either but I'm sure it was under $20

I seemed to find better stuff like this at HD but lowes has some of it too.

HD also has pretty descent soil but I'm sure our sponsors have much better soil more geared towards canna but back then I had credit cards for both of these places and just baught everything from them so...

You should do some homework digging through the sponsor page looking for quality but cheap lights, soil, nutes and everything else, you might be surprised at how some of their prices compare to HD and lowes? That's my plan when I get ready to get back into it

I would go see if you can find those floro's and that meter tho, I'll have to go out and ck my self again too, sometimes when a product doesn't move well, they will discontinue it, so I'm hoping they still have'm

Hope this helps?

My friend just go to a nursery and ask them what they have that is good for tomatoes. Jacks VF-11 is available at HD. They will order it for you. VERY INEXPENSIVE, PH stable, and superior results. The only addatives that I would advise is Cal/Mag. I buy CFLs' for flowering from LOWES, 40W $9.23 each.

Cool! I'll be filing all this back for l8r too :thanks:

I didn't have too good of luck at a couple of nurseries I tried for lights tho, at least not where I live so I really had no choice but go to HD but now that I'm back in Atl I will be using a local hydro store here and cover all my bases right the first time ;)

It's all in the prep work that makes all the difference, I learned all that one the hard way!

Back
Top Bottom