How to get into the MM business near Oakland CA

Geodesic

I'm looking to get into the MM business. I'm in NY now and am tired of risking my life to score some MM for my fibromyalgia so I want to move to a civilized state with legal MM like CA. Oakland as I understand it is Ground Zero (with Oaksterdam U) for MM so I would appreciate recommendations from natives on a decent nearby town within commuting distance of Oakland. I want to get the most bang for the buck without living in a war zone. I'm thinking of Modesto, Stockton, Sacramento, Manteca. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TNX.

-Geo

My friend... I had a real long in depth response for you. My computer froze and I lost it. Frustrated to say the least.

To sum it up...

Places you mention would require multiple hours for a one way commute. If traffic was bad... forget about it!

Look closer. Places like Danville, Walnut Creek are a little closer. Emeryville, Alameda, Berkley would be even closer.

Maybe look in the north bay. Sonoma County has some more affordable housing, but its a distance away. Marin county is closer, but more pricey.

Have you looked into housing prices out here? knocks most people flat on their back. being from NY, you might be more ready for these. Life is far from affordable out here, but once you have been out here awhile, it becomes easier. Wages are higher to make up for higher living.

Biggest tip I could give, go where there is work! Don't plan a move and hope to find work. Secure employment before leaving. Its not as easy as some would like it, to get employed with and working with medical cannabis. Dispensaries are always hiring, and some labs out here also need lab techs. But many only hire if they personally know the guy, or if someone they personally know can vouch for you. There are always exceptions, but be warned. Lots of people come out this way hoping to find work. We are hurting for employment out here too! Just something to think about.

Living in oakland can also be an idea, and a nice one. Near Lake Merritt district is real nice. They are cleaning up whole chunks of the city too.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Oakland/SF may be "ground zero," but there are better places if looking for "easy access" for patients, in the way of number of dispensaries. LA has over 1000, and will still have several hundred after passing the recent ordinance (if it lasts). Sacramento has numerous dispensaries as well. If rural living is more your thing, check out Eureka/Arcata or the Redding area. Just my $0.02....

:peace:

Thanks for all the responses. Yes I would prefer a more rural area but I need to go to Oaksterdam U so I understand the business from all angles. I can handle an hour and a half commute a few times a week for a while. I have enough cash to set up my own grow room so I don't intend to work for anyone except myself. As I understand it the demand is insatiable so finding customers shouldn't be a problem. NY looks on the verge of passing MM so I'm hoping I can be bicoastal and bring my MM experience back to my ancestral homeland (NYC) where the demand is truly astronomical.

My friend... I had a real long in depth response for you. My computer froze and I lost it. Frustrated to say the least.

To sum it up...

Places you mention would require multiple hours for a one way commute. If traffic was bad... forget about it!

Look closer. Places like Danville, Walnut Creek are a little closer. Emeryville, Alameda, Berkley would be even closer.

Maybe look in the north bay. Sonoma County has some more affordable housing, but its a distance away. Marin county is closer, but more pricey.

Have you looked into housing prices out here? knocks most people flat on their back. being from NY, you might be more ready for these. Life is far from affordable out here, but once you have been out here awhile, it becomes easier. Wages are higher to make up for higher living.
[...]
Any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks for taking the time for an in depth reply despite the crash. I'm not too familiar with the Bay area so it was very helpful. I need a relatively large house for the grow room and there's LOTS of cheap housing in the Modesto, Stockton area while closer in it gets pricey but I expect continued price erosion. The main reason to go to Oakland is Oaksterdam U. After that I assume there are dispensaries in the Stockton/Modesto area I could sell to. After I build up enough cash I can move to a more rural area. Thanks again.

Thanks for taking the time for an in depth reply despite the crash. I'm not too familiar with the Bay area so it was very helpful. I need a relatively large house for the grow room and there's LOTS of cheap housing in the Modesto, Stockton area while closer in it gets pricey but I expect continued price erosion. The main reason to go to Oakland is Oaksterdam U. After that I assume there are dispensaries in the Stockton/Modesto area I could sell to. After I build up enough cash I can move to a more rural area. Thanks again.

Simply here to help my friend. :smokin:

Oaksterdam U has multiple campuses. Some up in the North Bay. Some down in LA area. Even getting a campus out in Michigan.

If rural living is your thing, check out the North Bay. Up in Sonoma County area. Lots of farmland, open land, freedom, that sort of thing. Some slower moving communities. Some out near the beach.

Modesto might not be the best area for dispensaries. They seem to be fighting them. Oakdale had a recent dispensary closed down. Man went to court, and charges were dropped. But he still lost everything. He wants to reopen and is fighting the good fight, but its an uphill one. Just a heads up.

Santa Cruz seems to be pretty pot friendly as well. They have a GREAT group that go by WAMM. They have recently taken some huge steps in helping patients and keeping us all safer. Basically told the feds to back off, and got a judge to back them.

Someone said, Arcata is beautiful. Yreka and Eureka both great towns.

Best of luck with your search.

S
Someone said, Arcata is beautiful. Yreka and Eureka both great towns.

Best of luck with your search.

Skip Yreka- it's REALLY far north (like 20 miles from OR border), and they have also banned dispensaries.

I'll concur with the Napa/Sonoma area - nice living and Sonoma/Mendo counties produce lots of great meds with somewhat lax/tolerant laws/attitudes (Mendocino Co. forms the southern tip of the famed "Emerald Triangle").

Good luck..... :peace:

Skip Yreka- it's REALLY far north (like 20 miles from OR border), and they have also banned dispensaries.

I'll concur with the Napa/Sonoma area - nice living and Sonoma/Mendo counties produce lots of great meds with somewhat lax/tolerant laws/attitudes (Mendocino Co. forms the southern tip of the famed "Emerald Triangle").

Good luck..... :peace:

Good call!

Yreka is way up there, but nothing wrong with that. Some beautiful areas up that way. Near Klamath, Shasta, Mt. Lassen, and Modoc farther east some truly beautiful scenery. But yes, nothing like Oakland and no where near it. My mistake. :smokin:

Would rep you, but apparently I have to spread it around some.

I do know of Hearts of Mt. Shasta collective. Would be quite the drive though.

Did not know about the dispensary ban though. That's too bad. Ignorance still runs rampant among the sheep.

I am rambling now. Best of luck! :roorrip:

Back
Top Bottom