How to harvest seeds?

jlaudiofan

I've been doing alot of reading and i'm still a bit fuzzy on some things...

a cheeba plant can be male, female, and hermi? Is that ALL strains, or just some?

Next:

I will be starting a grow soon, and i wonder... If I do happen to get a male or two, is there some way to prune them and pollenate one of the females, so I can get seeds? I'd like to start saving *good* seeds instead of the crap bagseed ;)

Assuming there is a way to pollenate one female like that... Can you pollenate only one flower, and get seeds from just one bud? Or will the entire plant produce seeds?

Apologies in advance if these questions are answered elsewhere, but there's almost too much info here!

FYI: I am really asking about the current seeds i have (nirvana papaya) but an overall answer to any of these questions would be great for future reference.

:rollit:

yes all strains can be male, female or herm,
and selective pollination is possible if you get a male keep him away from your girls and when his pollen sacks are ready pick them off and into a bag just before they open collect a few in the bag and use an artist paint brush or a cotton bud and just wipe the hairs on one bud, alternatively you can wrap the bud in the bag and secure it give it a lil shake and leave it on for a day or so i prefer option 2 cos it keeps the pollen from spreading via the fan ect. and also make sure max pollen gets to the bud your pollinating therefore more seeds will be produced (once male start looking scary in the flower room a windowsill will be sufficant light to mature his sacs) hav fun:roorrip:

I just pollinated my Grapeberry female with a Grapeberry male last week.
You can already see the seeds maturing,looks like i can cut her main bud next week.
Shes a week over due cause i waited too look to pollinate,but hey i'll have seeds!

I just pollinated my Grapeberry female with a Grapeberry male last week.
You can already see the seeds maturing,looks like i can cut her main bud next week.
Shes a week over due cause i waited too look to pollinate,but hey i'll have seeds!

Sweet, good luck with the seeds!

I'd love to try this with the papaya that i'm gonna be growing (almost ready to test the hydro system!!)

Thanks for the advice.

I did that,he was seperated from every one else and i used a bag to get pollen.
The seeds will be ready in a couple days.I saved some pollen and will breed my Kush and Grapeberrys and see what comes of it.
It takes 2 weeks to one month for them to mature.

Your gonna want the male in a seperate room or else everything will have seed.

Ok. So from what i hear, you can shake the male and get pollen, and store in an airtight container in the fridge...

What would be the best way to pollinate for seed? Get a female out of the group, pollenate, wait a few days and then put her back with the rest?

Just trying to figure out what i'll need to do if/when i see a male in with my ladies.

Don't shake the male,i use a catcher.Its a 4"x4" peice of paper,cut in the middle 1/2 way.Then i put it around the stem under the pods and staple it together.Makes it bowl shaped and i let it sit for a day or two when the males are ready.
I'll post a pic in the monring.

Back
Top Bottom