Humidity control

MacEFL

First off, please bear with me as this may be long winded.

I have an 4'x8' tent. I have 1 600 watt hood cooled with an 6" inline fan pulling 400 cf a minute. (my second ballast will be here today!) The fan was inside both ventilating the tent and cooling the hood. I couldn't get my RH above 40% and my 8 plants looked like it. The leaves were dry looking and had almost a leathery feel to them. So I decided to try something.

I took everything out and started fresh. I put an 8" duct booster as an outlet in one of the upper ports. It was to be ported outside the house. I then located the inline fan outside of the tent and ducted it through the hood and out the tent. I fed my plants and closed it up to see how it worked.

It didn't take long before the RH started climbing. It soon settled at 60%. OK, for how long. It was 75° and 60% RH until I went to bed at 11:00. I woke at 2:00 and checked on them. The temp was fine at 67°. The RH was 97! :helpsmilie: So I opened one of the end flaps and went back to bed. It lowered to 55%RH (ambient was 41%.) Temp was fine. The lights and fan came on and it is 73° and 60%.

My question is what is the best way to keep the humidity down without putting my dehumidifier in? I do have a speed control for the inline coming so I may have to put the fan back in when I have both hood set up. But I like the fact that the temp in my den has raised 4 or five degrees since making the change. So I have two ideas.

#1: Put a "Y" in the duct with the single end trailing. The idea being an injector in a power washer or a hose end fertilizer pulls the material out due to ? Is it possible it will work with 300 to 400 cfm running through? Then I could dial in the inline fan with the speed controller for night time and turn off the 8". Or not need it at all.

#2: Cut a piece of Panda film an inch smaller all the way around my pot size, put a hole in the middle leaving plenty of room for the stalk and putting a slit in it to be able to put it on the top of the soil. The are in fabric pots so I am thinking that the soil will be able to breath well. That should stop some of the evaporation and hopefully allow the soil to dry out in a timely manner. This would be my first choice. Has any one tried this before or know of any problems that it could create. But I am not sure that I want to be the Guina pig on this one and potentially kill my plants.

Any one have any other ideas. KingJohnC? Heady? Cannafan? Any tent users? I am sure that any one using a tent with soil has had this come up.

Ok, long enough, thanks!

Morning Robert, KISS :high-five: keep it simple stupid :)

wow, that is some serious humidity spike......

Defol helps...could strip/lollipop bottom 8" of every plant but I'd wait for more responses.

Pull more air out of tent as needed.....either larger fan or run at 100% while lights are on.

Put your dehumidier to use.

More circulating air in your tent.

I want to see some other responses as well....I may be in the same boat soon.

Lights on aren't my problem, I am happy with my lights on percentages. It's lights off that I am concerned with. And I did do a fair amount of defol yesterday as I put them back. I wanted to give each one a real good look. I didn't lollipop yet, I am going to wait until a week or so before flip. Hurry up bulbs!

Exhaust, exhaust, exhaust....during peak humidity levels my exhaust fan runs 24/7

I can't wait to get sealed units like yours or similar....to hard to control and the variables are to many to list without them.

You will get it dialed in your, set up is damn nice.

And congrats on the second hood :bravo:

Here are a couple pics of my set up. And no snide remarks about the ghetto tray. It was free, I already owned it. It catches the runoff and allows the fabric pots to breath and it raises the two shorter plants to be even with the canopy. I know that the Cinex will stay short. Heady, I know that you run Blue Cheese, how much should that Blue Cheese stretch?

And yes, I may just have to put the inline fan back in the tent. It just looks cleaner this way and I can recycle the heat as you suggested. If I do that I will have to vent outside as the funk will be too much in flower. That Cinex WILL get funky!!!

014587.JPG
013643.JPG
012687.JPG
011758.JPG

Previewing this post I was looking at the inside fan and realized that it will pull more air if I add some length to the intake side. I guess out to the barn to get a piece of sheet metal and make an intake. Like I did with the inline.

Sure JJ Bones. Ask me any question you would like other than my address, lol. A few reasons. First my heat is where I want it. Second my inside ambient is 42%. Seems more efficient to me to control other ways. It's perfect at the time being and really it's a moot point as I will be going into flower on the first so a week or so into that I will be wanting to drop it back down any way. But if I can I would rather recycle the heat from the lamps if I can. Hence the questions regarding the plastic covering and the "Y" in the ducting.

Thank's Heady, now I only have to worry about the three other strains. If I keep the lights as low as I can get them that should slow any stretch as well.

Back
Top Bottom