Hydro Cab/Space Constraints

Dean Moriarty

I purchased a cabinet from Wally's to use as a grow cab. It's about 6 ft tall and divided into two 3' sections (one nonremovable shelf) and about 2' wide. I'm using a bubbler with a 10 gal rubbermade tote as the resevoir, with the lid cut to accomodate 3 5" netpots.

I didn't take the size of my big (I don't have them handy but they are >100w) CFLs into account.

When all is said and done, with the height of the res and the lights, there is only about 10"-12" of vertical space in which the plans can grow.

Should I ScrOG it? Or focus on sidelighting?

Of my 3 babies one randomly died and two are lovely and extending roots from their pots. Two big CFLs are hanging over the survivors, an 18" plant/aquarium tube is in the back of the plants resting on the res and a strip of four 26w cfls (2 soft 2 bright) is resting on the front of the res.

All 3 were bag seeds that need to be sexed, but with one premature death my odds of at least one female dropped from 87.5% to 75%. with a 25% chance of failure and the apparent success of my first hydro setup, I planted a fem NL seed in a perfect start and began to soak an AK48 seed, both feminized. At least one should germ and result in a guaranteed female plant.

However, I digress - what is the best route to take here? Currently the bottom shelf is my hydro setup and the top is for germination with my mini greenhouse/humidity dome under one 26w cfl with a seedling heat mat. I will probably take cuttings from the bottom plants and after using the top shelf for cloning, make the top shelf flowering and keep the mother plants in perpetual veg...or possibly harvest the bagseeds plants and grow out 2 clones of one of my feminized "premium strains" to have a regular source of high end clones.

What do you guys think? I may also get a second cab but space is an issue. I'm also going to be starting a soiless garden in the open in my house and yard for fresh veggies year round. I've got a background in biology and have been rather excited to apply it so my family is fine with the unfortunately bright and noisy "propagation cabinet" in my room.

Back
Top Bottom