If Cannabis Is Bad, Why Doesn't The Federal Government Allow More Research

Truth Seeker

Why would the federal government block research into the cannabis plant if they are right about it? It's a simple question that goes right to the heart of marijuana prohibition.

If the feds are right and cannabis is a dangerous drug with no medical benefits, why wouldn't they allow full scale research and be proven right? Put another way, why block research into something unless you want information on it to remain hidden?

Lyle Craker is an agriculture professor at UMass Amherst who has been trying for years to get permission from the federal government to research cannabis. "No, I've never participated in any marijuana use or anything like that," Craker said when asked if he had ever grown any marijuana. "This has to be done legally, completely, for it to have any valid type of information that will be available and stand up to scientific scrutiny."

Rick Doblin is founder and director of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, which is sponsoring Craker's attempts at convincing the federal government to allow him to study cannabis. "Our goal is to try to develop the science that would enable the FDA to evaluate whether marijuana deserved to be a prescription medicine from Phase 3 large-scale studies, which have not been conducted yet," he said.

Marijuana has so much healing potential, yet it is the year 2013 and these "large-scale studies" have "not been conducted yet." Why?

"When I first talked to Rick," Craker said, "I said to myself, 'Well, this is just another plant material. We should be examining this, because it has supposedly some medicinal effects.' I thought it would be just like any other plant: we'd get a license from the DEA to grow the material, and then it could go out to medical doctors to run clinical trials. I found out since it's not as easy as it looks."

But what about the marijuana being grown for research purposes at The University of Mississippi? "The source is really NIDA, the National Institute on Drug Abuse," said Doblin. "The University of Mississippi grows under contract to NIDA. They have a grant, a five-year grant. And then NIDA decides where their marijuana gets allocated.

"They've actually claimed that they have over 100,000 grams. We've spent seven years trying to buy 10 grams for research with vaporizers. And we were rejected after seven years of effort."

If the federal government has over 100,000 grams of cannabis, why can't they spare ten grams for valid educational research? And what is that cannabis being grown for, if not research?

Medical marijuana advocates say the cannabis plant can heal; the feds say it cannot. Advocates want research; the feds do not.

Who is trying to hide something here?

Beaker.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: drugpossessionlaws.com
Author: Joe Klare
Website: Why does the federal government block scientific research of cannabis?

Back
Top Bottom