Ignitor / capacitor started buzzing / crackling?

RandyL

I'm running two sunlight supply 1000 watt coil & core ballasts for my lights, and when the lights came on this morning, I noticed a buzzing / crackling sound from one of the ballasts that wasn't there before. I shut down one ballast and opened its end cover, and turned the ballast back on after the light bulb has a few minutes to cool off.

It's definitely the big capacitor making the noise. I didn't see anything leaking out of it, and touching it with a piece of wood didn't change the sound (in case it was just a loose mount strap vibrating).

Is this a "it should be changed sometime" thing or is it a "DOOD CHANGE IT RIGHT THE FUCK NOW ASAP" kind of thing?

The capacitor itself is an Aerovox Z93S5226N05A3, 26 uF +/- 3% 2776-MF, 0.83 Meg Ohms internal resistance. Are they known to go bad often?

If I didn't have this damn JOB to go waste all day at, I'd change it right now, but as it is, I'll have to pick up a new capacitor this evening.

Hey RandyL.

Don't have a clue as to what the buzzing sound means, but didn't want you to feel like you were being ignored. Perhaps someone will have the knowledge to answer. Good luck and happy growing.

I would swap it out with the other cap you have,just to make sure it's not the ballast windings starting to break down or short out, I work on ballast all the time at work but then again when I show up the light is not working,but the cap making noise ?I don't know about that,and if the cap is going bad the lamp should be showing some signs or getting a little dimmer ,and yes we replace all caps sooner or later some last longer than others.hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom