IL: Marijuana Violation Reduced In Minooka

Katelyn Baker

Minooka — Minooka trustees amended Tuesday the village's Cannabis Control Act, reducing the seriousness of possession of 10 grams or less.

Minooka is following suit with the law Gov. Bruce Rauner signed, effective July 29, 2016, making possession of not more than 10 grams a civil law violation instead of a Class B misdemeanor.

The ordinance was approved by all present; trustee Rudy Martin was absent.

"The state has become more lenient with marijuana laws, so as a village we took steps to become more in line with state law," Village Administrator Dan Duffy said.

"We have no opinion for or against, we are just being more in line with the state," Duffy added.

The change makes it a civil offense within village limits, with a fine up to $200, for possession of 10 grams or less of marijuana. Possession of more than 10 grams up to 30 grams remains a Class B misdemeanor with a fine of $250.

Following the meeting, Minooka Police Chief Justin Meyer said he isn't happy about the change, statewide or in the village.

"I'm afraid this is going to open a Pandora's Box," Meyer said. "I hate to see marijuana become legal."

The statewide law had no impact on local ordinances, Meyer said, as each municipality is able to choose whether or not to mirror state laws.

gettyy.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana Violation Reduced In Minooka
Author: Kris Stadalsky
Photo Credit: Getty Images

Back
Top Bottom