Illinois Pot Update

State Rep. Lou Lang, who is sponsoring a proposal to legalize marijuana for medicinal uses, said he's unsure of when he might call his bill to a vote on the Illinois House floor.

Lang, a Skokie Democrat, just told us he probably won't bring the measure to a vote until he knows he has the 60 'yes' votes needed for it to pass the House – which could mean a vote won't come until the fall or next spring.

Lang said he is picking up more votes each day, so a vote could still come this weekend as lawmakers scramble to wrap up legislative business for the summer by Sunday.

Those of you playing along at home will remember that Lang's proposal was approved by a House panel last night after getting a 'thumbs up' from the Senate on Wednesday. The bill, Senate Bill 1381, would allow marijuana to be prescribed by a doctor for patients with unrelenting pain or nausea due to a specific set of debilitating conditions.

If the House approves the measure, it then heads to Gov. Pat Quinn's desk. As of this morning, Quinn wouldn't say whether he'll sign off on it or not. Stay tuned.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: STLtoday.com
Author: Kari Andren
Copyright: 2009 STLtoday.com

I am both excited and disappointed by this bill. I mean I know it is a step in the right direction but it just seems so limited. The way they've got it the only people that will be able to get cards are people with cancer, HIV/AIDS, and multiple sclerosis.

"SB 1381 would allow seriously ill patients with diseases like cancer, HIV/AIDS, and multiple sclerosis to use marijuana if recommended by their doctor."

There are so many more uses for marijuana than that. I guess that's what happens when you leave it up to the legislators to get it done. I know it's much more expensive, but I almost feel like we would be better off letting the people make the bill and then voting on it, similar to what they did in California with Prop 215.

If the bill gets approved and the governor doesn't veto it, would they be able to expand upon it later or make amendments to it? I mean I just feel like the way it is now it's going to leave a lot of people out. What about people who have problems with migraines (like myself), eating disorders, anorexia, problems with digestion, anxiety, chronic pain, spasticity, glaucoma, or arthritis? And I like what they did on Prop 215 "or any other illness for which marijuana provides relief". I guess you can only get a good bill like that if it's made and voted on by the people.

Back
Top Bottom