Important Airstone Question

Caber1

Does anybody have a solution to keeping nutrient from ending up on my airstones?

I have two 5" round airstones in a 15 gallon square reservoir for my ebb and flow table and the nutrient seems to settle on the airstones all the time.
I put an extra 180 GPH pump in there just to try and keep the nutrient moving, but I'm still getting quite a bit of settling of nutrient.
I have the pump achored on one side at one end at the bottom and it is pointing towards the other end. It does seem to be moving the water fairly well because you can see the turbulence in the water.

There must be lots of hydro folks who see this. I'm just curious if I should just relax or do something else.

Why do you have an airstone in your reservoir? There is no need for an air pump in your ebb/flow system reservior. Pull the airstones out and your plants will do fine.

Why do you have an airstone in your reservoir? There is no need for an air pump in your ebb/flow system reservior. Pull the airstones out and your plants will do fine.

It's always a good idea to aerate your nutrient solution in hydroponics no matter what system your using. DWC would be more critical then ebb & flo but it's very important in any hydroponic system.

As to your question about nutrient solution settling on your stones. I never personally paid much attention to that myself. I really don't think it will create a problem. However, your putting a pump in your resevoir to keep your nutrient well mixed is a very good idea. You really can't do much else.

Thanks for the answers guys.

I do think that I will leave the airstones in. Aerating the water is always a good idea.
I just hate having to clean them off all the time. I wonder how they would work if I could suspend them on the sides somehow.
That is the cool thing with growing. Always learning and trying new stuff as long as it doesn't cost too much.

I'm surprised though that more ebb and flow guys didn't comment.

Which brings me to a question. I wonder if you could subscribe to a forum and then get a heads up or notification every time someone posts something about ebb and flow as opposed to the hit and miss style of searching for like minded growers.

Back
Top Bottom