Instructor Differentiates Between Hemp and Pot

PFlynn

In the recent article about medical marijuana, you noted that "hemp became a major crop in Kentucky." In fact, both George Washington and Thomas Jefferson grew hemp, and during World War II, the government ran a "Hemp for Victory" campaign and subsidized crops. I haven't enough space to list all the benefits of hemp, but here are just a few.

Hemp can produce clothes, paper, foods, building supplies, cosmetics, plastics and even fuel. According to Hemp Industries Association, hemp-seed oil contains more omega-3 fatty acids than any other source and is second only to soybeans for complete protein. It produces more pulp per acre than timber, but it grows in less than four months. Unlike cotton, hemp crops don't require pesticides, herbicides, or fungicides - major causes of soil and water pollution. The textiles, paper and building materials that hemp produces are stronger and better than products made by cotton or timber.

So what's the problem with mentioning hemp in an article about medicinal marijuana? HEMP IS NOT MARIJUANA! I am concerned that including even a sentence about hemp in this editorial might confuse readers - something the government has been trying to do since the 1930s. Hemp contains negligible levels of THC ( delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol ), the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana that causes the feeling described as a "high." Smoking hemp will get you about as high as smoking your underwear.

I understand the desire to form an alliance between advocates of medical marijuana and hemp; the government and big business have spread misinformation about both. However, with our growing need for sustainable, eco-friendly practices, it is crucial that we keep these battles separate. I encourage everyone to learn as much as possible about the many economic, health, and environmental benefits of this wonderful crop.

Melissa Ringfield

UCF Alumna, Visiting Instructor

Source: Central Florida Future (U of Central Florida, FL Edu)
Copyright: 2007 Central Florida Future

I think it is well due time for all teachers to confront and re-educate our goverment etc...officials .....and make them learn the truth and not ...
politics...of hemp production and home made hemp products in the usa....and all the rest of the world..
talk about being lead by idiots...
or...are we all just lemmings...>>>????:thedoubletake:

Back
Top Bottom