Interesting article from a Medical Journal

s4arah

I came across this article written by Dr. Andrew Wilner, a highly respected Neurologist, that I thought this forum would appreciate. It deals with pain management and of new treatment plan's using cannabis. This is only part of the article for the rest maybe not of use to many here for it is directed to the medical professionals.

"New Treatment of Neuropathic Pain

A Cannabis sativa-based extract (Sativex) is a new approach to the treatment of neuropathic pain. This new agent contains tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the main psychoactive ingredient of cannabis, plus cannabidiol (CBD), an isomer of THC. According to Ethan Russo, MD:

Cannabidiol is nonintoxicating, but has antianxiety, antipsychotic, anticonvulsant, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory properties. This is a standardized, reproducible, quality controlled preparation that doesn't have pulmonary sequelae. Sativex works without the necessity of intoxication, development of tolerance, or signs of dependency.

Dr. Russo is senior medical advisor to the drug's manufacturer, GW Pharmaceuticals, Salisbury, United Kingdom. The medication is administered via a spray pump under the tongue or on the inside of the cheek. The most common side effects are dry mouth and dizziness. During initial titration, some patients may have transient tachycardia or, rarely, orthostatic hypotension. Patients do not experience an increase in appetite or long-term weight change.

Dr. Russo presented a poster summarizing multiple studies that indicated that sleep quality improves in patients with neuropathic pain who use the drug. A phase 3, randomized, placebo-controlled trial in 66 patients with multiple sclerosis and central neuropathic pain revealed significant benefit of THC-CBD compared with placebo regarding sleep disturbance (P = .003). Another phase 3, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of 63 patients with peripheral neuropathic pain characterized by allodynia also demonstrated that THC-CBD significantly reduced sleep disturbance (P = .001). In a study of 48 patients with brachial plexus avulsion and central neuropathic pain, patients taking this agent experienced significant benefits to sleep parameters compared with those receiving placebo (P = .017). A phase 3 study has shown promising results for THC-CBD in controlling intractable pain related to cancer; longer, more in-depth studies are planned for this indication.

Just a few days after the conclusion of the AAN (American Academy of Neurology) meeting, GW Pharmaceuticals announced that Sativex had received regulatory approval for the treatment of neuropathic pain in multiple sclerosis in Canada. It is not yet available in the United States."

Written by Andrew N. Wilner, MD, FAAN, FACP in the Medscpe from WebMD

For those interested in the whole article and I can post that as well.

I hope this gives some food for thought to the policy makers of the use of cannabis for medical use here in the USA.

S4arah

The thing is, though, that thats more of a marijuana alternative, just like Merinol is now...

Now, the goverment can simply say, "You have your Sativex, thats been proven to work, so why do you want your medical marijauna??"

Regardless, at least they know that there are healing properties in marijuana, and they're not really denying the facts.

s4arah said:
The most common side effects are dry mouth and dizziness. During initial titration, some patients may have transient tachycardia or, rarely, orthostatic hypotension.
Now these are side effects that all of us can relate to!! :Rasta:
(p.s. tachycardia = fast heart rate ;) )

Curtis said:
The thing is, though, that thats more of a marijuana alternative, just like Merinol is now...

Now, the goverment can simply say, "You have your Sativex, thats been proven to work, so why do you want your medical marijauna??"

Regardless, at least they know that there are healing properties in marijuana, and they're not really denying the facts.

Very valid point Curtis. Still I believe this is a step in the right direction for a neurologist to openly speak about cannabis. I am in the medical field and so many of us are trying in our own way to encourage patients to use cannabis. Merinol is not the best alternative due its side effects. Lets hope things will change for the better.

Sexy Vexxy, your comment was cute and comforting that some due understand the medical terms used in the article. :)

^^ I sure do!! I'm working towads medical school as we speak ;)

Back
Top Bottom