Jailed Medical Marijuana Clinic Worker Speaks Out

Jacob Bell

PHOENIX - FOX 10's cameras were the only ones there when the DEA raided a medical marijuana clinic in Tempe.

In another exclusive, the woman that ran the Arizona Go Green Compassion Club talks to us from behind bars.

Rachel Beeder says she has no regrets. In fact, she wants to reopen her business as soon as she's able.

Beeder blames the state for what happened and says the law, when it comes to medical marijuana, both it's use and distribution have to be more clear.

"I am a good person and I am out there trying to help these people who have medical issues that are taking prescriptions that aren't good for their bodies and they're killing them," said Beeder.

With tears in her eyes, wearing a Maricopa County Jail jumpsuit, Beeder said she would gladly go to jail for medical marijuana.

"I'm sitting in jail right now because the law isn't written right," she said.

The 26-year-old says she is approved to cultivate 72 marijuana plants here in Arizona -- marijuana that was removed from her dispensary on Thursday. D.E.A. agents boxed up bags of buds, lollipops laced with marijuana, even a price board that let patients know how much their medicine would cost.

Beeder and her boyfriend, James Chaney, were arrested. They were charged with conspiracy to sell the drug.

There was no answer at Chaney's home, but neighbors told FOX 10 the place was surrounded by the DEA, around the same time his clinic was.

"One squad car was parked right there, if i remember there was another suburban type one in the driveway..they had tear gas thing pointed up, they had a bunch of them going in and out," said a neighbor.

While she awaits her release, Beeder is sending out a plea to lawmakers, asking that they listen to the voters, the people who want medical marijuana to be legal in our state.

"Let us know what is really the law please so we can be within it because none of us wanna feel like criminals anymore..that's why we're all here getting our cards because we wanna feel like law abiding citizens," she said.

Beeder says she is also registered as a caregiver with the state, which should allow her to distribute marijuana to her patients. Beeder says she and Chaney processed over a thousand medical marijuana cards at their clinic.

The doctor that worked with them has not been charged.

news23.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: myfoxphoenix.com
Author: Anita Roman
Copyright: Fox Television Stations, Inc.

Back
Top Bottom