Job Interview

Corenore

Hey guys!

I was just wondering if you all could help me out. I smoke everyday. I enjoy it quite a bit. Personally, after a long day at work I would rather a joint than a beer. Just the way I am. Anyways, last week I had a job interview. It's a job at a hospital working in the HR department. The guy mentioned that I will be taking care of the submitting forms for new employees and he mentioned that many of these employees go through drug testing. Thing is, he never said "You will be drug tested" so....I'm confused. This is all new for me...I'm not sure if all employees who work at a hospital should be tested, or only certain ones such as doctors and nurses. They said they would get back to me by next week. Now, I'm not sure if I should just quit for a while or what.

Does anyone have any advice?

Yeah, that's where I'm really confused. I looked up drug test laws in my state and it turns out that the prospective employee must be notified in writing of the drug test at the time of their application for the position. There was nothing mentioned in the application, so I'm wondering if I'm in the clear. Of course, it's always smart to play it safe. I know that I might not be able to clean out my system, but if I'm called into another interview and they mention it, I may have to come clean. It bothers me, because I'm a very reliable and hard working individual, so it would really piss me off if I don't get the job because I failed a drug test. I don't want to be looked as some good for nothing druggie. It's unfair. Pot smokers get a bad rap. I'm afraid of screwing up with synthetic urine or even someone else's piss. I'm a pretty nervous person so I don't know how it would work out well for me.

The laws in my state (and probably every state) assert that there must be a job offer prior to requiring a drug test, but I was definitely tested at the interview and not made an offer until the results came back. I first interviewed with the department and was then sent to HR where I participated in another interview with them. During this second HR interview, she said, "oh and we do drug testing on the spot. Is that okay?" It would have been pretty bad to say, "nope, I'm definitely opposed to taking a drug test today!"

I think the lines are blurred and I consider them handing you the lab requisition form your written notice in most cases. In any event, I would definitely bet on being tested. Also, I would suspect that if you get called back in, you may be asked to submit the sample right then and there. PREPARE. Take some clean urine or synthetic with you when you go.

Back
Top Bottom