Kansas: Cancer Victim Arrested For Marijuana Was Using It To Ease Pain

Jacob Redmond

More than 20 pounds of marijuana were discovered in the possession of a Franklin County man Thursday, according to the Franklin County Sheriff's Office.

Terry Rugg, 64, Ottawa, was arrested and charged with cultivation of marijuana, possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Along with the drug, equipment used in the cultivation of marijuana, and paraphernalia were seized from a property in the 2100 block of Sand Creek Road after detectives, along with U.S. postal inspectors, served a search warrant. The seized drugs have an estimated street value of $150,000, according to the sheriff's office.

Rugg's attorney, John Boyd, said his client has been a resident for at least 25 years, is a retired science teacher, has no prior criminal history. Rugg was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer five years ago, and recently had a relapse and surgery, Boyd said.

"He's been using cannibis in order to help deal with the affects of chemotherapy in the past as well as the pain he has suffered as a result of his illness," Boyd said.

In a February article about the use of medical marijuana, Rugg's wife, Caren, said the bout with cancer would have been much easier if marijuana was legal.

"When my husband, Terry, had Stage 4 bladder cancer, we got him the Rick Simpson oil. When they sent his bladder to pathology after removing it, they did not find one trace of the cancer still there. If I'd had the faith in the oil then that I have now, I would have demanded another scan and he would still have his bladder rather than a bag attached to him," Caren Rugg wrote on the Herald Facebook page. "The legalization is long overdue, given its relatively benign characteristics when compared to alcohol and Big Pharma contributions. Legalize it and expand business in Kansas."

62633243.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Cancer Victim Arrested For Marijuana Was Using It To Ease Pain
Author: Amelia Arvesen
Photo Credit: Wilfredo Lee / Associated Press

Back
Top Bottom