Kansas: City Council Member Suggests Change In Petition Law After Marijuana Vote

Jacob Redmond

A Wichita city council member is suggesting a change in state law after the Attorney General's recent action against the vote to decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana for first time offenders.

Councilwoman Janet Miller recommends the state legislature changes its law to say petitioners can't file for a city ordinance that conflicts with state law.

"It does not say that now, so we didn't have any choice," she said.

The Marijuana Reform Initiative went through two petition drives, got enough signatures to get their issue on the April ballot, and Wichitans voted it in. Janet Miller said both the city and activist group followed state law.

"But if they would amend that, that would save groups going through a process like this only to find out it cannot be enacted," said Miller.

The city filed for a ruling from the Sedgwick County District Court a day after the election since the ordinance would violate state law.

Before that decision was made, the Attorney General requested the Kansas Supreme Court to order the city not to enforce it.

"I've served on the city council for 6 years and there has been nothing like this," said Miller.

State House representative Jim Ward said this is more about politics than anything else.

"I would be frustrated if I were on the city council too," he said. "There are a number of city ordinances that are different than state law."

The Attorney General said these marijuana decriminalization activists should have pushed for this change at the state level. Many are left wondering why they were allowed to petition with the city in the first place.

"In a way some people are saying a decision was already made, but in fact there have not been any decisions made other than the municipality following exactly to the letter of the law exactly what the state statute required us to do," said Miller.

This brings up the question -- how does a Kansas resident go about changing a state law?

The easiest was is to contact your senator or house representative and ask for a bill introduction.

13832.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Wichita City Council member suggests change in petition law after marijuana vote
Author: Ben Jordan
Photo Credit: Jill Toyoshiba

KANSAS yep it's my state too. But really? I understand that the claim now is ''our liquor laws are outdated' WTF??? They want to sell liquor in the grocery stores!!!!! WHAT ABOUT THE LAW TOTALLY BASED ON COUNTLESS LIES???????? We are all free to read. MOST of our elected representatives have the ability to read, digest the literature, and come to a rational logical conclusion based on the evidence presented. SOUNDS LIKE SOME ONE IS GETTING COMPENSATED TO KEEP IGNORING THE WILL OF THE RESIDENTS OF THIS FINE STATE. a LARGE number of potential voters are unable to vote because of breaking this silly law. Therefore becoming second class citizens. We now are able to carry a weapon to protect against the unexpected situation. BUT DON'T YOU CARRY THAT PIECE OF NATURE, GOD CREATED FOR OUR USE. It's becoming apparent lately that the situation is opposite from the intimidating fear mongering lies presented by those in charge of propaganda in this society. Flood the workers [we have sent to represent us] with letters, e-mails,-- all forms of communication. THAT'S THE ANSWER------ COMMUNICATE!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom