Ky. Doctors Explore Medical Marijuana Risks, Benefits

Robert Celt

As a Louisville lawmaker pushes for the legalization of medical marijuana, dozens of doctors were in Frankfort Wednesday learning about the drug's pros and cons.

Eric Crawford said medical marijuana would help him tackle several health issues, including severe glaucoma.

"I'm on maximum dose glaucoma drops and they don't pull the punch, so I use marijuana, I use marijuana to help my eyes," said Crawford.

Crawford attended a presentation in Frankfort on Wednesday, where Dr. Charles Kodner spoke about the science that shows the benefits and risks of the drug.

"It's controversial because there are a small number of people who would really benefit from this product, but if we made it more widely available as a medical treatment or medication, there are an awful lot of other people who would have problems," said Kodner.

Kodner said the drug appears to be most effective for treating nausea for cancer or AIDS patients, or spasticity for people with multiple sclerosis. He said it appears to only work in a small number of people to treat chronic pain or seizures.

"We believe this is a situation where public and even political sentiment may have gotten a little bit ahead of the science," said Dr. Randy Schrodt with the Kentucky Medical Association.

Schrodt said the KMA opposes the general approval of medical marijuana, but does support changing the drug's classification to open the door to more research.

Legislation that would legalize medical marijuana has been introduced in this year's session. Governor Matt Bevin said in order for him to support it, the language in the bill would have to be very specific.

"If regulated and dispensed and prescribed in the same way as prescription drugs, then I would have no problem with marijuana being used for medical purposes," said Bevin.

Twenty-three states and the District of Columbia have legalized medical marijuana. Sen. Perry Clark, from Louisville, is pushing Senate Bill 13 and possibly more legislation that would legalize the drug for medical use.

main_content_Prescription-1-3.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Ky. Doctors Explore Medical Marijuana Risks, Benefits
Author: Christina Mora
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom